Plecs identity

Redturk

Jun 21, 2018
Greenock
I was sold about 18 months ago 2 wild caught bristle nose plecs genus not known. Now that they have grown, they look more like bull dog plecs there are no bristles at all not even mall ones that may indicate that they are female BNP’s. Can anyone help?

Attachments

plecoaddict

Apr 23, 2009
Michigan
Picture is a little blurry..... or maybe I need new glasses? lol Looks like a female BN from what I can make out..... maybe LDA72 at a guess.

Chuck

Redturk

Jun 21, 2018
Greenock
Hi Plecoaddict
These two fish are excessively shy I see them about once a week. When they are out in the open the slightest movement spooks them, so to get this blurry picture took a lot of ninja stealth with a smart phone with the magnification right up to full. Thanks for the ID. I have two actual bristle noses that are half the size both showing bristles male and female as these two have no bristles at all that is why I doubted their identity.

plecoaddict

Apr 23, 2009
Michigan
I know how that is...… ninja picture taking is a skill a lot of up practice but few master! lol Not all female Ancistrus will have bristles.... if you can get some better pictures please post them. But from what I can see that is my best guess.

Chuck

Redturk

Jun 21, 2018
Greenock
New Photos

It’s amazing what some pleco pellets can do, this combined with a bigger camera, bigger zoom and a flash has given some better pics. The two larger plecs are the ones in question.

Redturk

Jun 21, 2018
Greenock
LDA72

Hi Chuck
I had a look on the net for some pics on LDA72 and that’s the one, so I have 2 female xenocara plecs. Thanks for your help.