Air freight charge change ???

ambigua

Aug 30, 2010
Canberra Australia
Hi all,

I have not sent airfreight for a while and now have been informed that Australian Air Express has been bought out by Qantas and the old "Perishables" definition has changed to "Cugo Fresh" which is listed as live Sea Food such as Lobster and not the old air breather definition which allowed us to use "Perishables" in the past. Now the next class after "Cugo Fresh" is "Cugo Pets" which when used for live fish the cost $95 for a 1kg box is and a big price rise from the previous around $55 of the old "Perishable" definition of AAE.

How do you all send your airfreight now ? Feel free to pm me if you are more comfortable doing that.

This change happened 1-2 months back i was advised on the phone.

Thanks in advance.

clipper

May 24, 2012
Townsville
Sent fish today under the new code. You have the option to just use next space or priority flight. Using next space cost me $42 Townsville- Newcastle. My box was only 1.1kg though.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
They still do it as perishable, as it would be with such things as cut flowers, although it might have a different name in their accounts. I have actually found it is slightly cheaper with Qantas than it was with AAE.

My boxes are usually 5kg and cost is usually about $50 give or take a few dollars
I drop them off in the morning and the freight lists as delivered sometime that day. Not necessarily next flight or even the one after but they do supply tracking so at least I know when they are in the air and likely to be delivered to the other airport destination.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
thats all good bren but when you need to book a quarantine inspection you need to know what flight the fish are coming in on... its all over the place at the moment... my mate went to send 5kg box of fish to sydney from perth and its usually around 80-90 bucks paid cash upfront... they wanted 283 bucks to deliver it.... so guess what happened - he told them to shove it and walked across the road to virgin/toll and sent same box for 80 bucks saving over 200 bucks... qantas freight better get their act together or they'll lose all their customers...

clipper

May 24, 2012
Townsville
The entire system just changed today. I posted earlier, but boy oh boy did I have to eat my initial response today. Will be sending my last box ever through Qantas freight tomorrow.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Here is a list of new prices quoted from Brisbane office today. It now apparently goes on distance travelled which is why some are cheaper than others.

All pricing is shipped under "GO ANIMALS" for all live fish shipping. It's still a perishable shipment and means up to 24 hours they have lead way for a shipment to arrive.

Qantas freight pricing from BRISBANE: current of the new change over and quotes were made by phone inquiry on the 11/6/2014. Small and Large styro quotes to the destinations below:

Small Styro - 39L x38W x37H in cm (up to 5kg and 8kg)

Canberra: 5kg $90, 8kg $98

Sydney: 5kg $78, 8kg $84

Melbourne: 5kg $100, 8kg $111

Adelaide: 5kg $112, 8kg 126

Perth: 5kg $168, 8kg $195

Gladstone: 5kg $73, 8kg $77

Rockhampton: 5kg $78, 8kg $84

Cairns: 5kg $107, 8kg $119

Large Styro: 57L x 38W x 37H in cm ( up to 18kg )

Canberra: $168

Sydney: $131

Melbourne: $199

Adelaide: $236

Perth: $410

Gladstone: $115

Rockhampton: $131

Cairns: $220

Many thanks to my friend James Rastinger for taking the time to get the information.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
man those prices are horrendous - i normally send to brisbane or cairns for 60-70 bucks and melbourne and sydney 50-60 bucks... 38x28x25cm box same as bayfish send... for 2-6kg.... (from perth)

apparently if your shipping on account prices have returned to normal back in WA but you can expect higher prices if you dont have an account...

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
I had an account with AAE.
When Qantas took over they dropped my account as I didn't ship 5k in shipping every month.
When I reverted to ordinary status it turned out cheaper as I didn't have to pay office fees for statements.