Eggs and fry! Peppermint BN.

TeamSherman

Jun 8, 2015
Sydney
Hi guys,

I'm new to breeding these beauties and have seen a few posts and pics of people putting eggs that have been kicked out of caves into normal fry savers. Is this the norm or should they be put into specific egg tumblers? Also I've seen very young fry being put into normal fry savers too and I'm just wondering what the best process is for both eggs and fry?

I currently have a clutch of eggs in a makeshift tumbler which is just a plastic pipe with some mesh on the bottom opening where the eggs are sitting and above that is a space of water with another piece of mesh above that where the air stone sits. I've got the air running so it's just enough to nearly lift the eggs in the current. The pipe is quite narrow and I'd like to today either buy a better broader tumbler so the fry will actually have area to move around a bit if they hatch. Do I need to get a specific tumbler or will a floating fry saver with an air stone in it do the trick just as well?

I totally understand the theory of having fresh clean oxygenated water constantly running over and around he eggs so the fry saver seems like it may not get as much water flow as a tumbler.

Anyway, your help is greatly and somewhat urgently needed.

Cheers,

TS.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
No worries. I actually haven't used my as my males prefer to eat eggs! :( but I've heard a lot of great things about them

TeamSherman

Jun 8, 2015
Sydney
Hi folks,

I've been on holiday for a week and left my colony tank to their own devices after doing a water change and clean before I left and have come home to a male on eggs in the tank!!

All I want to know now is how soon can I feed them all without the male leaving them? Or do the males not leave once they are settled in house keeping position??

It's the first batch of three batches that have been kept in the cave and not kicked out as the first two batches I had I found kicked out the morning they were laid.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Just feed as normal and keep an eye out in case he kicks the eggs out.
Sometimes it takes them a few practice runs :)
I don't do water changes when males are on eggs or females are trapped because I've stuffed up a few times when the eggs were eaten or the female was let out of the cave
Hope that helps you!
Nat :)

TeamSherman

Jun 8, 2015
Sydney
Woohooooo!

I have a few caves in there for them and when I found the first one on eggs there was a second cave with a male in just fanning and hanging out in the entrance (half way in the cave) which I thought may have eggs in but the male is hanging with his tail out and not head facing out so I didn't think twice but as he's been in there since I checked the tank on Friday night I did a quick check today and he's on a massive mountain of eggs too!

TeamSherman

Jun 8, 2015
Sydney
What's best, should I just leave the caves as they are or separate the caves into a separate container within the tank?

I have a few of the small plastic hospital tanks with the plastic mesh lids that I have cut out big sections on each side and stuck mesh in their place to allow flow of water through so was wondering if I should use them to keep any eggs or fry in place and any strangers out of the caves?

I really want these eggs to work this time as I've waited well long enough for them to get going!!!

TeamSherman

Jun 8, 2015
Sydney
Here is a pic of what I've done with one cave to keep its contents safe. I'm tossing up whether to do the same with the other cave in another separate tank within a tank or to just leave it be, what do you guys reckon?

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I personally leave them and let nature take it's course but some people pinch every bunch of eggs they get. Part of fish keeping is learning from your mistakes & good ideas too

TeamSherman

Jun 8, 2015
Sydney
I've put the second cave in a separate tank as well and the male didn't and hasn't budged since so they're both looking really good so far!

I'm away on a film shoot from tomorrow till Thursday night so I've got a few forced days to leave them to it which should be a nice surprise when I get back and check them!!!!

TeamSherman

Jun 8, 2015
Sydney
The two little eggs I have in my tumbler should hatch overnight and the others in the caves looked the same yesterday when I had a sneak peek so hopefully when I get home Thursday night they will all be free swimmers!!

The bigger cave looks like there is atleast over 60 eggs in there! The mound is huuuuge!

TeamSherman

Jun 8, 2015
Sydney
Well, my eggs were good and I've now got 50+ babies in my fry saver setup that look really good and healthy. They have some seasoned driftwood in there and I'll add some zucchini later on but they still have small yolk sacs attached so they should be good for a day or so anyway.

I'll put some zucchini in the tank later on for the hungry dads to replenish their energy reserves for some more eggs down the track hopefully!!

TeamSherman

Jun 8, 2015
Sydney
My little kittens are doing really well and after doing another quick count I got to just over 60 before I gave up trying for an accurate number! They are starting to colour up and thankfully I've had zero casualties! They are happily eating zucchini and crushed flake and today they will get introduced to cucumber as well. Here are a few pics of them on the zucchini and a closer up shot showing their nice black and white coming through.

Last edited:

TeamSherman

Jun 8, 2015
Sydney
After 4 months of no breeding I've finally got a male on eggs and boy it's a big spawn!

They were so lazy in that space so I did some reading that said to feed some high protein foods so I have been feeding them the Hikari Carnivore sinking pellets for about 5 days and in this time the male has been spotted a few times facing out so I knew it was only a matter of time before he coaxed a lady in there with him.

We've had heaps of storms lately too and I did a water change just before the last one hit so I thing all those factors helped out.

Anyway, as I've still got about 60+ growing out in a separate tank hopefully this spawn will help double that!