L134 Breeding Q's

tbmeck

Nov 5, 2017
Farmington, MN
Hello Pleco people. Recently I picked up a nice adult L134 female from an LFS that didn't know what it was. It was a steal for under $30 after tax. After getting her into my 120 gal she quickly became my favorite fish, even though I rarely see her. This weekend, one of my other LFS had 5 L 134's stocked and for sale. I picked out a nice male, so I now have 1M/1F. While I have two decades in the hobby, mostly keeping high tech planted tanks and discus, I have very little experience with plecos. I'd like to try and breed these, understanding they can be a challenge.

My question is, am I okay with a single pair, or should I pick up more? With help from the owner of the LFS, we identified the remaing to be either 3F/1M. If I were to add only one more, am I better of adding another Female or are pleco's better off with reverse trio's?

Thank you in advamce for your expertise and replies.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
Hard to give you the correct answer.... but

Been bred in pairs , trios , colonies..... so its really what works for you... and how big your budget is...

Personally i find colonies of 4-6 fish work well with smaller plecs... but bigger nastier plecs i definitely stick to a pair....

tbmeck

Nov 5, 2017
Farmington, MN
Thank you John. I did pick up another adult pair, so I now have 2/F 2/M. I also scored a deal on a pair of 1.75” juvies. They have a dedicated 55 gallon with plenty of caves of all shapes and sizes. Lots of water current and O2 for the higher temps. They are all doing great and appear active and happy. I’m looking forward to maintaining this tank and colony over the next couple of years. Hopefully the reward me with some successful spawns.