photo of sick RAM

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
006-2.jpg Photo by yellowhouse21 | Photobucket[/ame]"]http://[ame="http://s1184.photobucket.com/user/yellowhouse21/media/006-2.jpg.html"]006-2.jpg Photo by yellowhouse21 | Photobucket[/ame]

OK , hard to see HER left fin ,it looks blury white ,but really it is loaded with salt-like bits. the top seam of her body also has a wite line of salt looking bits and the ''ram spot'' is clumps . Sorry , this is the best pic I could get.

ps I know a q-tank is supposed to empty of decorations and gravel , but i need the chiclid gravel to keep my ph stable and added a few hidey places so the would have ''cover'' , as this sits in my Living Room , an active place.

thanks , Georgie

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Hard to see but you can see the patch on her side. The fact that you say the ich is in a patch or a line makes me suspect a bacterial infection even more. Ich is typically pretty random and doesn't normally infect a single spot on the body in concentration. Normally you'll see spots sprinkled randomly over the entire body, not clustered. In a really bad ich infection you might get patches of ich but then it'll cover most of the body at that point.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi Lorne, humm, i do see specks on her body and fins, hard to see in photo. Could it be both ? I will try to get a better pic today.

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
Is a fungus infection. Need to isolate sick fish in its own hospital tank. You can treat fungus infection with Malachite green or Formalin or mixture of both. I think Tetra sells a product call Fungus Guard that is also effective and not as toxic as the two chemicals I mentioned. Fungus Guard also has antibiotic to prevent the wound from getting bacterial infection. There are other commercially available product for treating fungus, the formulations are all very similar to Tetra's Fungus Guard.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks guys, wow , i saw the salt-like specs and was sure it was ich until Lorne suggested it was bacterial and that other diseases can often look like ich ! Learning a lot here , hope she makes it.

So the Quick Cure has malachite green,, but no antibiotics , so I will put a call in at the new aq store today for the Fungas Guard. Many thanks everyone , appreciate the responses and help . Georgie

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
I think even Walmart sells Fungus Guard in their pets section. Yes, Walmart has an aquarium fish section and it has a negative effect to shoppers. Instead of getting people to join the fish hobby, one look at it makes you want to 'burn' it down or join any group that ban people from keeping fish as a hobby.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
I think even Walmart sells Fungus Guard in their pets section. Yes, Walmart has an aquarium fish section and it has a negative effect to shoppers. Instead of getting people to join the fish hobby, one look at it makes you want to 'burn' it down or join any group that ban people from keeping fish as a hobby.
:lol: yep , I never go to the fish dept , or the doggie dept either at Wallmart., it is such a turnoff . Ok , guess I will have to break my own rule to get the med, :yuck: but thanks for the info

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
update on the sick ram. The big white blotch is healed up and it looks normal, but the fins still have clumps of white stuff on them. I have been using Quick Cure , then every 3 days a wc, then more QC..and so on. She is eating , she is in the hospital tank alone , but not sure what the clumps of white on her fins are and whey they haven't cleared up ?????? Keeping the water clean seems optimum here and so I have been doing my wc's . just can't figure why she still has these clumps on both fins. Any ideas ???

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
Typically fuzzy growth on the body is Columnaris (cotton wool disease), which is a gram negative bacteria. The white growth on the fins resemble Saprolegnia (commonly refer as fungus) infection. They both look similar in appearance, the easiest way to distinguish the two is under microscope inspection. Otherwise, try to look real close to see if you can see thin hair like structures growing from the affected area, that would indicate Saprolegnia. Another distinction of the two, is Columnaris grows on living tissue while Saprolegnia is found on dying or dead tissue of the fish.

Columnaris can be treated with a wide range of broad spectrum antibiotics, while malachite green, acriflavin, Triple Sulfa, and Formalin (to name a few) are effective against Saprolegnia.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi Lorne-yes same as on previous photos , only now just on the fins.

hi L-M - I have been using Quick Cure(ingredient is Malachite Green) so still dong wc's every 3 days and re-starting the Quick Cure for 3 days as bottle says every 3 days.

thanks guys for responding ,

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi guys. well just wanted to update you since many of you responded and helped identify the problem . So the bacterial wound on her side has been completely healed for some time, however , he fins still had the white bacteria on them so using Quick Cure( malachite green) and lots of wc's it is almost gone , but not completely. She has been eating well, but living alone in a 5g hospital tank. I fear if I get her a mate, I will have to go through the same long treatment with a wc male....so not sure what to do with her once she is safe .

I have the 54g corner tank (with the sultan) and a 30g with some blackskirt tetra and a few juvi platy. I just don't trust she wont get sick again. The 30g also has 4 dwarf rainbows -juvies also, which I will be putting in the 54g when they are grown out more because the 54g has some pretty big turquoise rainbows and male and female bosemeni rainbows , which all will pick on the smaller praecoxs .

so that will take some time , and meanwhile , the female ram should be clear soon and don't know what to do with her. Absolutely not going in the 54g ever!

any ideas ? keep her in the 5g alone seems sad ??? thanks

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi, update on the ram, she is doing great , thanks Lorne for the figuring out what the problem was and thanks for treatment ideas everyone . I did wc's and used med with malachite green . Her fins have been cleared up for over a week . Now I can get her a mate . thanks everyone for answering my thread - you saved a pretty little fish :clap: