What kind of Fry Saver do you use/recommend?

Hooked

Oct 12, 2013
Australia
Hi gang,

I'm just starting out with breeding cats. Its my first spawn, Royal Whiptails. I've never had much use for fry savers before so I'm wondering what you recommend. My saver I'm using is a cheap cube type thats a basic plastic frame covered with fine cloth. I've lost a few fry from getting caught in/under the cloth. As I have about a hundred odd fry Im thinking I need a bigger one (possibly.... but definitely not counting my chickens just yet!) and are there any helpful/recommended technical advances now over the plain old net cube? Is there anything that suits cats better? I noticed they like to congregate on the solid plastic edging and not venture into the middle over the first five days, so possibly a solid bottom is better. I'm keen to buy something bigger and better and also interested in hearing about any D I Y if anybody has any good tips. Pics, links or product names would help a lot.

Cheers

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I know a lot of people have built in glass fry savers
I just use the plastic ones with suction cups you buy for around $8 on eBay & I've tied fishing line that is weighted slightly outside the tank in case the suction fails
I like them as water & uneaten food can pass through but not the fry
I've never had a problem with them. I'm sure other breeders have other ideas too

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Because they are such tiny fry as soon as you put fine netting over the fry saver openings you are stemming the flow of water circulation. Add an air stone to the inside of the fry saver.

Hooked

Oct 12, 2013
Australia
Hi Brengun,

I've moved the saver so the end spray bar jet shoots through the corner at 45 deg. Causes similar bubbling as an air stone inside in the saver inner corner and slowly draws out the water. Seems to be working as "dare I say it out loud" no deaths so far today. As I'm not near a good size fish shop any more I have made a couple of savers that hopefully will do the trick. Bought parts from Bunnings and the aquarium silicone should be well dry by tomorrow as made yesterday. My tank is a 200lt tall type tank that I used for my Discus. It's high filtrated with a Eheim 2217. Has a good circular flow at present due to horizontal spray bar flow. Its not strong enough to knock the fry or parents around but good gentle flow through the saver. I'd appreciate your thoughts if you can see any pitfalls here approaching when using the new savers or if an air stone would be better? Thanks for your kind help,

Cheers

Attachments

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
This is the little jobby that i made up. Have to say i love it. Was made in a bit of a rush so it doesn't look flash but it works well. Measures 24cm x 14cm x 15cm (that's around 9.5" x 5.5" x 6" for you imperialists) so is plenty big enough for the average male and his log. The fly screen bottom means there is never any waste or slime build up and the little 200l/h powerhead keeps the water flowing through it nicely. I made it so i can hang it over the lid braces on a tank if need be and i did make a lid for it but have found i have never needed it.

Hooked

Oct 12, 2013
Australia
Hi Beencees,

I started using my new saver today and definitely the fish are more active when the flow is better through the saver. I'm using a spirulina-agar agar mix so think if I had screen on the bottom it would go through? But I like the idea of having a cleaner bottom. Trying to vac my first small cube saver with an air hose and not suck any fry up was challenging to say the least. The use of a small pump is a great idea if in a tank where you cant get a lot of flow to it. Thanks for the ideas,

Cheers

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well done. fry saver looks good. I use the plastic boxes you buy.
I dont often use a fry saver as generally only use when dad kicks eggs out. but in case of whiptails they are good idea as hard to get them to fed in big tank. they dont tend to lokk far for food so it has to be in front of them. the agar agar mix id good, I spread on small stones and let it dry then put stones with fry and they suck on them. also add a bit of flake for variety and vitamins.

Hooked

Oct 12, 2013
Australia
Hi guys.
Thanks for all the advice and ideas. The savers are working a treat. Only had a couple drop off over the last week and a second spawn that went straight in has only had one die after about a week. They are looking to lay again, possibly tomorrow, as male is acting very impatient... flying up and down the tank. So far so good : )

Cheers