How do I really know of someone is breeding ?

Fishchick18

Aug 5, 2013
Newcastle
My l002 pleco has been fanning non stop trapping and did have eggs but ate them on the third day, he is fanning non stop again how I'm just to scared to shine a torch in case I scare him, any ideas and the females are hiding so I can't tell

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
he will eat them if you shine a torch in the cave
I'm not recommending you shine a light in every 2 minutes but sorry Irene i don't agree with this statement.
I know some people who are compulsive torch shiners and they don't seem to have any losses as a result. I myself have on odd occasions shone a light upon a male with eggs and have never had any expelled or eaten.
Certainly i believe it's better to leave breeding fish as undisturbed as possible but i don't think one has to be overly paranoid about the odd intrusion.

Fishchick18

Aug 5, 2013
Newcastle
I'm leaving them well alone and hopefully they will breed, my bns however you can shine torches in there and they don't care hahaha

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I usually don't shine a torch unless I am prepared to go stealing eggs or fry if the torch shows them in the log.

Having said that, once you've owned certain males for years and they have bred before, I can tell by the tail and fanning when they are trying to hide something.
Its a body language not easily learned and I am often mistaken but lots of times I am right as well. :)

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Guilty of the odd torch shine myself, especially with fish I am familiar with, never had a noted loss from it. I guess it's luck of the draw. I also think that with the number of fish bred here from a somewhat limited gene pool, maybe we have laid back Aussie L's that just don't mind.