What type of endler is this?

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Hi everyone,
I found this male endler in one of my pleco tanks after I sold a few hundred endlers. Is he just a different variant of a black line or a different type?
As you know they are hard to photograph & the photos don't show how bright yellow he is. Sorry if it's a silly question.

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
I'm guessing he will be a hybrid. As i'm sure you're aware it's pretty much impossible to actually get true, pure Endlers here in Aus. so most stock will have cross genes in them somewhere along the line and to varying degrees. As a result they will occasionally throw out fish that show alot more of the hybridization characteristics. They can often look pleasant enough but if you want to keep your bloodlines relatively clean then i would remove him from the rest of your Endler population.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Cheers thank you. I thought that may be the case. It's so weird he is literally 1 out of 1000 I have bred. I don't sell any from this tank. They are feeders for my display tank but this guy is cool so I might keep him! :)

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
There are many many different colours in endlers now...That one would prolly be classified as a Blonde or Sunset something or another..He's quite stunning..:clap: I agree tho, I would have him in with a female of his own in their own tank...

Last edited:

fishfisy

Jul 21, 2012
SYDNEY
how do you catch them?? they are soo annoying i put them in my 4ft tank but then someone told me they can eat baby shrimps and i been trying to breed my yellow shrimps in ages so i guess they been breeding but the endler are feeding on them :(

fishfisy

Jul 21, 2012
SYDNEY
they use to do the same too i cought most of them but as soon as they find out that im catching them when i go near my tank they run away and hide between the driftwood or my caves and i dont wanna go near my driftwoods or caves !!!!!!!

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Very frustrating catching fish sometimes.
Won't hurt to take everything out to make it easier to catch them & also good timing to do a good clean up of everything that gathers under your wood & caves

MuckyFish

Nov 14, 2012
Bay Area
Necropost but an extension on two net theory put an algae pellet in the nets and let the net stay firmly in place until they happily eating. Then scoop the nets towards each other.

Leave nets with food out even when you don't mean to catch them. Then the net becomes feeder not catcher.

Only gotcha is if they all decide to chew on algae pellet from the outside of the net.

johnbetta397

Feb 26, 2023
endlers are great fish i breed them and fancy guppies i am working on a cross breed blonde endler male and female dumbo eared guppy they fry have very large fins and small bodys in the males females look like dumbos

Reactions: L-Cat Carl