DIY Clay Spawning Caves. Instructions with Pics.

GhostArcher

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
Just thought I would show everyone how I recently made some spawning caves for my bristlenose plecs. What you will need. 1.75 lbs of clay. You can get this from your local crafts store. 1.75 Lbs will make 4 caves. A piece of wax or freezer paper to work the clay on (The clay WILL STAIN COUNTER TOPS!). A glass oven safe pan or non stick metal baking sheet.

The Basic Instruction for the clay:
Start with clean hands and work surface. Knead the clay until it is soft and smooth. Shape the clay. Bake on oven proof glass or metal surface at 275° F (130° C) for 15 min per 1/4 " (6mm) of thickness. Do not Over bake the clay. Wash hands after use.

The clay I started with.

Tape the freezer/Wax paper to your counter top.

Open the clay and take out one brick of the clay.

Knead the clay.

Tear the clay in half. One brick will make 2 caves for the smaller plec species. If you have one of the larger species I would use 1 brick for 1 cave.

Flatten the clay out into a rectangle or square.

**Optional** Texture what will be the inside of the cave.

Form the clay into a cave and pinch seams shut. Also close one side by pinching shut.

Place on glass or metal sheet and bake according to instructions. They look dull when the baking is finished.

Let the caves cool for 24 hours before placing them into your tank.

And finally 24 hours later in the tank!

Thanks for taking the time to check out my DIY Caves.

mrRRunner

Oct 2, 2009
Staffordshire UK
Hope these work out ok in water for you, looks pretty easy, let us know how they go'
I make my caves from clay/terracotta and they have to be fired at over 1100C so will be interesting to see if these stand the test of time.

GhostArcher

Oct 30, 2012
North Carolina
Hope these work out ok in water for you, looks pretty easy, let us know how they go'
I make my caves from clay/terracotta and they have to be fired at over 1100C so will be interesting to see if these stand the test of time.
This stuff is actually a polymer clay. It is supposed to be water proof after baking. So far it has held up. But, as you said we will only be able to find out for sure in the long run.