L174 from fry to adulthood?

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
As we know the L174 is one of the slowest growing hypans and I was wondering if anyone has grown a fry on to adulthood and if so how long did it take? :dk:

My first batch are now 5 months old and have reached 1" total length I'm wondering if I will be 90 before they get to adults :wb:

Took this pic today of a newly hatched out fry from the latest batch, so far dad has wafted out 13 wiggly eggs, the biggest spawn yet for me :D

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
First of all congratulations on your successful spawns :clap:

I have got 2 different age groups of L174. I bought my first 10 specimens february last year. They were about 9 months old then and 3,5 to 4cmTL. In december of last year I bought an other 4. These were 6 months old and only 2cm big.

Among the oldest fish, males and females are obvious. They are close to spawning for the first time, all the signs are there. Just have to wait :yes: These fish are now 5-7cm big TL.

I found they grow best when water quality is perfect and in large quantity. I know people that have also got juvenile L174. Theirs are not even reaching 4cm after 2 years. All of them I know are being kept in relatively small tanks with max 100 liter of water or less. Mine are being kept in a breeding setup and their tank is connected to the main biological filter. That means that about 2000 liters of water runs trough their tank.
But even so, they are really slow growers. Even my zebra fry grow twice as fast....

Good luck with your breeders and fry :thumbup:

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
I have fry at over 2 years old now and still very much juvies. They're around the 2'' mark now, but painfully slow developers. An endless supply of patience required with these little beauties I think lol !

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Thanks for the input and yes I had an idea it was going to require lots of patience :wb::lol:

Good luck with your guys Jacqueline I hope they spawn for the first time soon :thumbup:

Unungy

May 29, 2009
ca
www.unungy.com
I also know of breeders crossing L174 and L400 for fast growing fry to adulthood. I do not agree with such a practices but they are out there.

Saul

Unungy

May 29, 2009
ca
www.unungy.com
Congratulation is right.

I've heard of breeders having problems growing the fry as they can get very weak.

have you had any issues growing them?

Saul

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Congratulation is right.

I've heard of breeders having problems growing the fry as they can get very weak.

have you had any issues growing them?

Saul
For me so far I lose 1 or 2 out of each spawn over the first 2 days then they are usually ok but I keep them in a breeding trap for the first month at least so I can feed them without them wearing themselves out to find food.

Then they are released into a grow on tank, fed heavily and water changed every day. If some fry escape me and stay in the parents tank there is a major difference in size.

Thankfully its very rare to have a loss after the first week :)

Would love to know how other 174 keepers raise their fry :yes:

Unungy

May 29, 2009
ca
www.unungy.com
nice job.

I know breeders in the USA struggle a little bit keeping the fry alive.
I'm not too sure how often their L174 breed but I love those little guys.
They are one my favorite list.

Keep up the good work.

Saul
PS: I'm not a breeder but a collector

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Thanks Saul I really love this little hypan too :)

My pair I've had a while now but started spawning in August 2010 and spawn every 4 weeks and recently got a second group of 9 with 2 spawning males in that are spawning every 3-4 weeks :woohoo: so got a few fry growing on now :yes:

I have heard from other peeps that these are very delicate fry and a challenge to grow on :wb: