What to feed a Saratoga

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
What kind of food is recommended for a saratoga Jardini?

Bought one the other day and he is eating....all the 8 tetra's are gone. But he wont touch anything else.

Any suggestions?

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Congrats on your purchase. I love these fish but find they get toooooooo big for my tanks especially my largest 6fter. How about carnivour pellets or something in that range. I would not recommend feeder fish.Also look at this web page it has some great info- http://www.aquariumdomain.com/viewSpeciesNWCichlid.php?id=53 . Oh and sorry that you lost your tetras. I would try the pellets. Give it about 5 days and eventually they will eat the pellets. cheers jk :thumbup:

Last edited:

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Bre, I was feeding mine a range of large pellets. I'm with BB and generally avoid feeders. I found a few places that sold unsalted whitebait and my old toga and pbass loved them. Which species did you get?

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
Got a Jardini about 35cm.
i had no intentions on feeding live bait, its just we had a few tetras in the tank when we added him and he decided they were dinner.
We've tried a few different types of pellets and he wont touch them. He does like bloodworm.
Will look around for some whitebait, thanks.

Going to rehome my pep that's in there. It's about 5-6cm just starting to get a nubble on its lip. I'm worried it will get eaten too.

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
They will eat pretty much anything that fits in their gob! Well the leichardti I had did. Hikari massivore and the nls Xl or mega (7.5 or 10mm) will do the trick. It might take a little while to adapt but they usually will.