Fat Longfin Albino BN

H

hopiwas

Hi All,

My longfin Albino BN has been hiding from view for a weeks or so, today got my first good glimpse of her and this is what i see. I haven't a lot of experience yet with breeding them, is she bloated or full of eggs?

I have her and a male (they're both about 14 cm) in a tank of their own.
I've been feeding them zucchini and green beans every day (basically make sure there's always some available and change it daily). every second day i put in an Hikari algae wafer and the other days i occasionally put in some blood worms or Repashy Super Green.

Keen to hear your thoughts?

Thanks,
Justin

Attachments

H

hopiwas

Just read the 'please read first', so here's a bit more details:
Filtration: Sponge Filters.
Temp: 26C
Water: 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 10 Nitrate
Water Changes: twice weekly about 30%

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Not keen on the dark colour all the way up the chest. It could be egg bound but also degenerated into a bacterial infection. Remember half the time the male stays in his log leaving the full array of food sitting there for the female to gluttonise on. Reduce the amount of food and if its cucumber like that, try rubbing a bit of garlic on it. Might help with the bacterial part. You could also treat for worms. Doesn't look likely but it may help with the insides a bit too.

H

hopiwas

Thank for the suggestions. Unfortunately she died already. When I picked her up eggs started flowing out of her, so might have been egg bound.

H

hopiwas

Since she has died, a few days later a male LF Albino BN that was in the same tank has died, he didn't bloat up like she did, but he started breathy very fast for a couple of days then died.

And 1 day later, another Female Albino BN died as well, she wasn't having strangly at all, just turned up dead one night, she also had a heap of eggs come out when i gave her a little squeeze.

I now have another Shortfin Albino BN that has started bloating up just like the first. She spawned 4 days ago, and since then i haven't seen her eat (this is unusual as she was always the first on the food when i put any in) and she hasn't been very active. Today i have noticed her belly has swollen up a bit she's still not eating.

I have checked the water and no ammonia, no nitrite, nitrate about 20.

Any suggestions what it might be and what can I do? I have another 3 female BN and 2 male BN in the tank (one of the males as fanning the eggs that she laid 4 days ago).

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: