EMERGENCY

jamo33

Apr 22, 2015
Sydney
Hey guys,

Woke up this morning to one of my female bristlenoses looking awful, I assume this is a bacterial infection and she has either scraped herself on the males cave or been bullied. Honestly she now looks almost lifeless after moving her to a quarantine tank, Im out of treatments currently but hopefully this afternoon I will have some Melafix and Pimafix, will this suffice?

Im mostly so frustrated because for her to look like this i feel like I have clearly neglected searching the tank for any illnesses or atleast checking all fish are healthy.

Please let me know how you would treat, and if this even bacterial/fungal and if i am doing the correct thing..

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
She is in pretty rough shape but I have seen them (occasionally) come back from this. Your idea of Pima/melafix is good. Follow the instructions, keep the Q tank quiet, stress isn't going to help her now so avoid the desire to shine a torch in there every 5minutes.

Good luck with her.

jamo33

Apr 22, 2015
Sydney
Thank you!
I have low hopes for her, but you never know. These fish are one of the hardiest, if not the hardiest I've ever kept!

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
if i find something like this i feed them off and put them out of their misery.... cost of treatments far out weigh the value of the fish...

looks like shes copped a hiding from a male b/n or if theres something bigger in the tank....

if it was a female 046 i would spend some time on it... :thumbup:

jamo33

Apr 22, 2015
Sydney
if i find something like this i feed them off and put them out of their misery.... cost of treatments far out weigh the value of the fish...

looks like shes copped a hiding from a male b/n or if theres something bigger in the tank....

if it was a female 046 i would spend some time on it... :thumbup:
Unfortunately she died yesterday after I made it home from work, poor girl didn't really stand a chance. Big albino male i recently purchased has taken it to two bristlenoses recently. Neither are with us anymore. Being territorial can be unfortunate at times like this.

He has other females in the tank interested in him so all will be fine and fry will come, I just wanted to try my hand at curing the poor girl as I havent ever had the chance to safe any fish

jamo33

Apr 22, 2015
Sydney
Sorry wasn't sure if you two were aiming those comments at me? I did try to save her and I wasn't concerned about the money, I thought it would be nice to try help her back to health.

Unfortunately it didn't happen, however not long before her passing she did manage a nice little batch of offspring which are looking great, silver lining I guess. Would have preferred to have saved her though.

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Sorry wasn't sure if you two were aiming those comments at me? I did try to save her and I wasn't concerned about the money, I thought it would be nice to try help her back to health.

Unfortunately it didn't happen, however not long before her passing she did manage a nice little batch of offspring which are looking great, silver lining I guess. Would have preferred to have saved her though.

Not at all, it was for Johnno regarding the cost of the fish. Some of my most cherished fish in the past have been what would be classed as cheap.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
comment wasnt intended to be provocative.... when your breeding/selling to put food on the table and pay your bills you tend to lose your compassion a little.... :whistle::whistle::whistle:
although i prefer to put a fish out of its misery rather then prolong a stressful death on the off chance it survives... after keeping fish for a lot of years you tend to make a judgement call on the injury from previous attempts to save fish... same as i cull a lot of fish too to keep good quality fish in the hobby... some people arent happy about that either....