Port Macquarie , Aus.

Shanecurtis

Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Hey everyone I am new here and new to the hobby,
Hoping to get some good advice on this site.

I started up 3 tanks a few weeks ago and have started out with guppies and birstlenose plecos.

The guppies are great, healthy and breeding a lot! I have had over 200 fry in just over a week so I'm pretty happy,

However my concern is with the plecos,(common) they have some sort of a fungi on them and what looks like the start of fin rot? They were this way when I got them.

I have started to treat tank with "blue planet Tri sulfa" tabs as well as the white spot remedy by the same company. For what I assume could be ich.

I was told not to raise the temperature in the tank as it can promote the growth and spread of the fungi.

The filter I got with one of the tanks has zeolite and carbon in it, would it be better to make my own inserts as I feel these will not let my tank properly cycle.

Also any advice on the fungi for the plecos?

They have started improving slightly but I'm quite concerned as the previous owners tank was literally just black water :/

Current readings.

Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-4

PH- 6.8
Temp- 24.9^c

I'm not sure if I should keep up daily water changes whilst medicating or to stop for a few days,
Any advice would be great.
Thanks guys :)

dwaink

Jun 14, 2016
new albany IN
always run the full course of medication, else u create medication resistant bugs. carbon filter media will remove medication too, might ought to pull them and replace with just filter fabric insert, but i will defer to others here about that. u should keep up with regular water changes though, the fish need it.

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
Welcome
Regarding your aquarium did you seed your filter to cycle it ?
Dawaink was right you must remove any and all carbon as it will remove any chemical you treat your tank ! You can re add the carbon to remove any traces of chemical later on
Main thing to look at is water quality bn is eating and that the tank is well oxygenated during treatment

Pic of the fish would be great
Also pic of your guppies what type are they?