Clowns vs Phantoms

byron

Dec 28, 2012
london
Can anyone give me advise on whether I can introduce successfully a 3 inch Green Phantom to a 180 litre tank that currently has four 2.5 inch Clown Loaches in? I ask as Clown Loaches are very gregarious especially at feeding and Phantoms seem to be the opposite so I don't see how the Phantom can compete for food. Any ideas? May be I need a bigger Phantom, may be that doesn't make any difference, I don't know?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Hi Byron and welcome to the forum.
I have seen videos of green phantom living with clown loaches before but if you had to pay a couple of thousand dollars for a phantom like here in Australia I think mine would be having their own tank without clown loaches.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi Byron, I suppose plecs could live with clown loaches, however dinner time could present a problem. I have seen firsthand a 4'' clown loach use it's blades to poke a 9'' plec , hard enough for the plec to haul ass fast to the opposite side of the tank. They are docile, whereas clowns are not ,especially when it comes to food. The plec had to be moved to a different tank so it could eat without getting sliced with those blades. Just my observation, I am sure others could present pros and cons on this subject. HTH.