Apr 8, 2009
All assigned numbers: L240

Name: Leporacanthicus cf. galaxias

Common Names: L240

Photos:
1_P3210312.jpg

Appearance:

Compatibility:
Can be territorial, this species can be unfriendly towards its own kind and similar looking fish. Bottom dwellers of different color and pattern are usually left alone, although things may heaten up during feeding time.

Sexing and Breeding:
Males have a more elongated body form and a longer, broader head profile. Males also have odontodes on the edge of the mouth area, females do not.

Diet:
A close look at the teeth of this pleco reveals we're dealing with a carnivore. Meaty foods like shrimp, krill, mussels, pieces of fish, blood worms, mosquito larvae, sinking carnivore wafers etc. are readily accepted. Once acclimatized, this species will also eat algae/bottom dwellers tablets and possibly even fresh vegetables.
Besides being a carnivore, the Galaxy Pleco also appears to be a 'substrat filter feeder': I've often observed my specimen shuffling through the gravel in a forward dashing motion, after which it moves forwards over the 'trench' it just created. During this, it seems it use its huge sucker mouth as a net, sucking up small particles that were just whirled up: food is swallowed, inedible material such as wood particles and gravel are expelled through the gill slits.

Water parameters:
Temp 25-30c PH 5.5-7.5
A tank with dimmed lights and a good amount of hiding places (plants, drift wood, rocks, artificial caves) is ideal for this beautifully patterned medium-sized catfish. A young specimen can temporarily be kept in a relatively small tank: when it's the only catfish in the tank, a 32x14" (80x35cm.) tank is enough, when kept with more bottom dwellers you need at least a 40x16" (100x40cm.) tank. Mature adults require a larger tank: at least 40x16" (100x40cm.) for a single specimen, and at least an 48x20" (120x50cm.) tank for a small group of these pleco's. This fish requires plenty of personal space, as they can be very territorial, especially towards its own kind and similar looking bottom dwellers, and with their sharp teeth they are capable of inflicting serious injuries.
The L240 does best in soft, slightly acidic to neutral water (pH 6.0-7.0), heavy oxygenation and a lot of currents. A powerful filtration system is required, as this fish produces a lot of waste due to its high-protein diet.

Max Size:
30cms

Bred by:
jeannev49

Breeding Log:
See below, for questions and comment, please see original thread L240

Additional Comments:

Some profile info used with permission from www.piranha-info.com

jeannev49

Oct 27, 2009
Ohio
Twas a gloomy day in february when my L240 arrived at my doorstep 5 in all total, I have since lost 1 but have the remaining 4 they are housed in a 75 gallon tank where the temperature is 84 degrees the ph is 7.1-7.2 and I also use peat filtering on tuesday I do a 30% water change and gravel vaccum if they have eggs I do a warm water change, if not I do a cold water change which lowers the temperatue about 5-6 degrees I do another 30% water change with gravel vaccum on friday.
My feeding schedule is as follows:
Every day I feed earthworm sticks, spirulina sticks, and veggie bits,I purchase my food from www.angelsplus.com their foods are fresh and have better ingredients.
Monday-Omega one sinking kelp pellets
Tuesday-*Meat-choose one from list below
Wednesday-Veggie mix
Thursday-Omega one sinking kelp pellets
Friday-*Meat-choose one from list below
Saturday-Baby formula, you can purchase this at www.flguppiesplus.com when feeding this allow it to sit in water for a while untill it sinks then shut off your filters and pour in the food, allow to settle and restart filters
Sunday-Veggie mix

Meat list
Chopped night crawlers, it is best to freeze to avoid spoilage, you can break them in pieces at feeding time.
Freeze dried bloodworms
Freeze dried tubifex worms
Freeze dried blackworms-from www.blackworms.com.au
Krill soft and moist-from HBN, compare ingredients to others
Freeze dried plankton
I get all of my freeze dried foods from www.angelsplus.com
Your probably wondering how I get my freezed dried foods to sink, take a small container I use tupperware, add water heat water in microwave to boiling and then add freeze dried food allow to cool, I shut down the filters with this to.
I'm not feeding large amounts of freeze dried food just a small amount per fish.
Veggie Mix Recipe
8oz. green beans
8oz. spinach
8oz. broccoli
8oz. cauliflower
1 large sweet potatoe,remove skin
1 medium zuccini, remove skin
1 medium cucumber
1 bunch kale,fresh
8oz. plankton-krill flake,from angelsplus
1/2 cup krill powder,from angelsplus
1/4 cup spirulina powder,from angelsplus
1/2 cup baby formula,from flguppieplus
All ingredients are either fresh or frozen no canned food
Grind all vegetables, I use and old fashion hand grinder with a course blade
if you use a blender use the chop setting, you want the mix to be course.
Add dry ingredients one at a time mixing well I mix by hand.
After everything is mixed well put in one gallon plastic bags roll mix out I use a rolling pin or press by hand.to about 1/2 inch, lay flat on cookie sheet and place in freezer, you can then break off pieces at feeding time.
This recipe will make approximently 4 one gallon bags

I use this regimine with all my plecos and my L240 are spawning every month almost to the day.
I've had a spawn on 8-21-09
10-23-09
11-23-09
now if I could get the eggs and fry to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.