"mask" on pleco???

plecomom

Dec 6, 2012
virginia
Hi - I am a new member but have been a long time pleco mom. I have 2 fairly large plecos that I have had for approx. 18 years and (thanksfully) they have always been healthy. My lighter colored one has developed a dark brown "mask" over the last year or so. I doesn't seem to bother her but I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is or what has caused it? The other pleco shows no sign of it. I do regular water changes and keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tank mates include an old algae eater, a danio, a bala shark and a green cory cat.

Attachments

Last edited:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
also no idea. :welcome: to the forum. Maybe it is going dark brown as it is maturing. There are some Ls, which start off white/light and then go dark when they age. Have you googled this aleady ?

cheers jk :thumbup:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
welcome, 18 years old is a good age. is the fish showing any other symtoms, such as not eating/pooing normally etc. hanging around filter a lot or anything?

plecomom

Dec 6, 2012
virginia
"mask" on pleco

The pleco with the "mask" has been acting normal. She is eating and not doing anything out of the ordinary. I failed to mention before and it is hard to tell from the picture - but the "mask" is bumpy. It is not smooth skin but rather a "growth". It doesn't seem to bother the fish but it does seem to be spreading and I hate the thought of losing the fish because I failed to treat it. Are there any medications that you recommend? I have been hesitant to stress the fish by randomly trying different meds. I appreciate everyone's responses and I hope to find out what is causing this condition. Thank you!!