Tank's center brace broken - any hope?

Katey

May 4, 2009
The tank in question is a 75 gallon bowfront. I bought it used a couple of years ago, and its been through a couple moves. Around the top rim is the wood trim and there was a plastic center brace in the middle running from back to front (which also held the glass tops). A while ago the plastic brace began pulling apart where it's connected to the front and eventually broke. My husband got some kind of water proof tough glue and glued down a thick metal strip along where the original plastic brace was and it held for a very long time. Then the metal gave way at the back and drooped and now the whole brace is off today. I removed the glass tops (which were half way in the water when I saw the situation) so now the tank is bare topped, with no center brace at all and the trim on the front is sagging outwards a bit. I'm afraid the tank will just let loose from the pressure.
Is there any way to secure the tank or is it hopeless? Should I drain some water to relieve pressure or is it okay for now?
I will try and get some pictures up tonight. Thanks!

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
First of - your right - lower teh water level - If you can get away with it - try 50%....

you should see the glass flex back in to position as it empties...

It should be perfectly repairable - There should be a few people that have done this sort of repair on here to offer advice on how to do it....

fingers crossed its sooner rather than later :)

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
If its a branded tank, you can call the manufacturer and get a replacement sent, they are pretty cheap and the top frame should be fairly easy to get off. You would need to make sure the water is low enough, so that the new frame fits on without any pressure and to prevent any further problems when the old one is removed.

If not branded you can get frames from here, you are in the US yes?

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=43

or you can make a new brace yourself

although getting a new frame is best, you can also fix it with a euro-brace. What you need is a piece of glass (1/4" thick) that is 4-6" wide with its length exactly the inside distance of your tank front to back (maybe 1/16" or so short for the silicone). Get this piece custom cut in a glass shop, then silicone this piece under your brace. Make sure you attach this glass brace well to the front & back panes of glass. Wait for the silicone to fully cure before you fill up the tank.

There was a sticky in the DIY section on tank construction that gives more details.

BTW, to determine how much you can fill your tank, measure the front to back distance of your tank at both sides, & compare that with the distance at the center of the tank. If the center is bowed out less than 1/4" or so (or 1/8" if you are really paranoid), you should be safe until you get a fix.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/center-brace-cracked-100492.html

There may also be other ways to make a brace.

Katey

May 4, 2009
Thanks, that is all great advice! I lowered the level about three inches, which is the best I could do until I dig up some longer filter intakes. I didn't know you could replace a rim; I sent the company from Doodle's link an email with my tank dimensions. Hopefully they can get me the size I need. Thanks again guys, I'll post how it goes! :thumbup:

Katey

May 4, 2009
Well, I contacted a couple companies and none of them do the bow frames, but my husband is really good at making things and is going to build another metal brace that will wrap around the rim. Just got to get out to Home Depot! I'll get some before and after pictures up when it is all done. Thanks for asking! :hi:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
good luck, try and lower water a bit more if you can. maybe use internal filter?
it will need to be lower when you fit new brace.
is this your only tank? if you could move a few fish to another tank, to reduce risk , just in case. I would hate you to have the tank split when you are out!!

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
I had this problen on my jewel 260 bow fronted tank.When i contacted juwel,they said that its not a structural part of the tank,it just helps it keep its shape,just superglue it back on.

ani-mal-lvr

May 20, 2009
Wisconsin U.S.A.
Around the top rim is the wood trim and there was a plastic center brace in the middle running from back to front (which also held the glass tops).
Highya Katey!!! Is it really a wood frame around the tank top? Or is it a plastic frame that has a woodgrain look? Any pics?
I have repaired numerous center braces, over the years. Several different options.

But if you do have a "wood" top frame, you are only in need of glass lid holder. for that the "euro brace" mentioned above will work great.

Katey

May 4, 2009
Hi everyone! Yes, it is indeed plastic with a faux wood trim. What are your ideas Ani? We were still planning on doing the metal brace to wrap around the lip. Thoughts?
Thanks people :D

ani-mal-lvr

May 20, 2009
Wisconsin U.S.A.
Highya Katey!!! Would you happen to have any pics of what exactly we are dealing with?
They would help me decide which way to advise. (sorry this is so late, I dont get on much)