Help ick

I

intrepidmax

Right I have had an idea on getting to grips with this.

Im going to do water changes of 50% to keep the numbers down. and keep adding fresh protazin, with a bit of basic maths then i should have enough to kill all free swimmers. I dont think my U/V is doing much so Im going to remove this from the tank altogether and steralize. Im also going to up the flow of air. and drop the temp by 2 degrees.

3-4 days and i should have this wrapped up.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
You shouldn't have the uv on when using meds.
UV does kill parasites but only the ones unlucky enough to pass over the light and the flow has to be spot on too.

See my post above.

water changes are only going to dilute the med which will make it much less effective

not very patient are ya lol

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
If you use the protozin don't mess around with the dosages, both malachite green and copper are toxic to fish

BombHead666

Apr 21, 2009
Bedale - North Yorkshire
I think changing the meds, doing lots of water changes you will not acheive alot other than to dilute meds present and prolong this. Its like human meds they do not work instantly, you must be PATIENT (my young padawan!)

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
agreed with above. you need to choose a med and stick with it, follow the whole course and see it through. large water changes will dilute the treatment and mixing meds is not a great idea.

I

intrepidmax

Ok

I have taken everyone's advice, I was just flapping like crazy that's all. I know what im doing and how to do it.......but if its not working within 3 minutes flat im a nightmare lol.

not alot of patience .....must be the job I do.

OH sorry.....general update!
They are all getting better, the fish that are showing the least spots are doing fine aswell (thats a great sign) because its normally these fish that are covered in holes that go first. the white spot is getting less and less. And I think after the white spot has gone I will go and buy a new UV bulb...I think the one I have is on its way out.

Thanks again everyone.
mark.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
cool, good to hear.

Did you change meds after all or stick with the one you started with?

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
Thanks for the update, i know that if my fish were ever to get sick, i would be impatient for them to get better, because i would just want them better again, which i am sure everyone who has had sick fish wants.

I can be impatient with some things ( must be my age lol )

I

intrepidmax

Update update update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of the fish made it through and not a single spot in sight.

I carried on using the same meds and they worked a treat.

I had at one stage overdosed the meds ....ooooops (I put some in at morning time and forgot and then treated at night.....must have been half asleep) but all fish were fine.

I wasn't going to say what the fish was.....but here it is....It was all the new KT66 and L270 that I got not long ago.

I had the UV on aswell as using meds....and it all worked fine.

My theory is......originally my L136b had been killed by whitespot while I was away. I originally thought It could have came from a Catappa leave..(but on speaking to N2Biomes we worked out it could not have come from this) the only place it could have came from was the LFS (Porton)................now the KT66 and L270 went into a completley different tank 2 weeks after the original whitespot outbreak. so the whitespot must have been passed water born.....(net/drip) It must have been the tiniest amount to be passed as the original tank was disinfected and everything in it had boiling water poured over it. and the fish that now reside in the tank are fine.

So thanks everyone for the help. and I strongly recommend the meds.

I will be carrying on with Meds and temp for another 3 days.....

regards
mark.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
excellent:clap:

I had the UV on aswell as using meds....and it all worked fine.
99% of meds will be affected by the uv, i wouldn't recommend leaving it on every time you have to treat the tank.