Lice type blood sucking thing

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
hello People:hi:

After having the enjoyment of st24rsap in my fish house this morning we came accross a Lice/mite thing on a few plecs that were attached to the fish where body meets the dorsal. They were easily removed but left a red patch as if they had been sucking blood. They look like tiny jelly mites.

I have some pics but cant download until later but in the mean time does any have any thoughts as to what they could be and what I need to treat with?

Cheers

thegeeman

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Thanks.

Thats exactly what they are:huh:. I have Parazin P by waterlife which I have used before for Anchorworm and reading the instructions it also deals with these critters.

Heres my problem though. The infected fish is in with some baby 260,s and a gazillion cherry shrimp. Do you think the babies will be safe with this stuff?.

Cheers

thegeeman

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
Don't use it with the shrimps as it will most likely kill them, as for the babys I haven't used it with fry. I have succesfully got rid of Argulus by using tweezers and dosing with Myxazin to stop infection setting in.
If that dosen't get rid of them you will have to remove the shrimp and possibly the fry before treating the tank

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Are you up for doing the same as that link?
Personally i would esp with the juvies being involved.

Good find on that link by the way, ill have to keep that somewhere.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Don't use it with the shrimps as it will most likely kill them, as for the babys I haven't used it with fry. I have succesfully got rid of Argulus by using tweezers and dosing with Myxazin to stop infection setting in.
If that dosen't get rid of them you will have to remove the shrimp and possibly the fry before treating the tank
My only concern is that although I have removed the Argulus from the fish (will use some myxazin aswell) its the fact that there maybe egg/babies of the argulus in the water. Do you think I am better off just seeing if anymore appear over the next few days or treating with parazin now?.
I presume by removing the shrimp and assassins to my qt tank I wont be moving the argulus to another tank?

Cheers

thegeeman

Last edited:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
interenting, and frightening article - amazing pics, if you click on the pics they blow up. even the baby lava coming out of the fishes nose!!!

I would take what shimp and snail you can to a clean small qt tank, then treat the fish tank and micro wave /boil wood to kill eggs and change the substrate if needed. only return snails etc when clear and then monitor like mad. Also keep close eye on any other tanks in case have transfered any eggs with common net or anything...

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
interenting, and frightening article - amazing pics, if you click on the pics they blow up. even the baby lava coming out of the fishes nose!!!

I would take what shimp and snail you can to a clean small qt tank, then treat the fish tank and micro wave /boil wood to kill eggs and change the substrate if needed. only return snails etc when clear and then monitor like mad. Also keep close eye on any other tanks in case have transfered any eggs with common net or anything...
That sounds like a plan:yes:

How many do you reckon you can see G?

if you click on the pics they blow up. even the baby lava coming out of the fishes nose!!!
On our website, all the pics do that too:yes::clap::clap:

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Ok I have taken a deep breath and chilled a bit now. Looking through other arcticles on these little critters the link I posted seems like an extreme case. I found one an L174 aswell so 4 in total. I have scan all the other tanks and havent found a thing thank god.

I am going to remove the gazillion shrimps (or borrow a geo off Scatz) and assassins from both tanks and put them into a qt. I will then deep clean both tanks and dose with the parzin liquid. As I always qt fish then I have been trying to work out where they came from. Both tanks contained some plants from an auction I went to so that could be it.

Cheers and thanks for the info

thegeeman

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Both tanks contained some plants from an auction I went to so that could be it.
Most likely, i know it sounds mad but should really q plants as well as fish.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Well after finding a few critters which I am sure came from the plants I decided to remove the snails and as many shrimp as I could find. I have treated with parazin p and at the moment every thing seems good. I am hoping that I managed to capture the few that came in on the plants and that link I posted was a really bad out break.

Fingers crossed

Cheers

thegeeman

Tony_s

May 4, 2009
Wisconsin
Goodluck Gee.

Reading that link and doing a little browsing on the webbyweb scared the you know what out of me.

Again,goodluck.