Albino corydoras catfish

Fishchick18

Aug 5, 2013
Newcastle
I like many fish keepers keep some cories in the tank for a clean up crew and who can't admit they are so adorable, on top of that they won't eat eggs, shrimp, or fry :). Over the past few months I have had countless laying on eggs in my standard 4 foot tank which contains various types of bristle nose. Filtration is simple, and 1500 litre per hour canister with uv light, power head and air stone. To my delight I came home one day and found my two albino cories wiggling around each other and eggs underneath the spray from the canister. Approx 30 eggs were laid and I removed them with a library card. After this they were placed in a fry saver with airstone. I came to realise these were not going to be easy to hatch as they required an extremely strong current of water and the eggs are tiny.
3 days later about 12 eggs hatched into the Tiniest little things I have ever seen. I went to school and came home and most were gone and I realised they had got out through the sides of the container. This stumped me and I left them be. About a week later I came home to see lots of cory eggs on a idian almond leaf. This time I placed the eggs in a net underneath the spray on a aqua one hang on filter in my 9 litre shrimp tank. So that 3 days later once hatched they would fall into the tank and not get eaten. Well this tactic worked amazing and I got 6 corys.

Upon eating their egg sac they got fed mainly what the shrimp ate, algae wafers sera viformo , flake but I also put in Some liquid fry food for a protein bonus. These little guys grew the quickest of all the fish I have ever owned , growing to 2cm in about 3 weeks. Once reaching 3cm I moved them to ,y two foot tank.

Two days later more eggs were discovered and I hatched the, the same way except added a airstone underneath for more aeration. About 10 have hatched the time and are growing very well. Yesterday I found eggs on the side of my filter in the two foot tank. Tis meant that the small cories had spawned with an older female of about 4 cm of different bloodlines. Hence they can breed from a very young age of about 2months and 3cm. These are perhaps the hardiest fish I have ever raised and were entirely a surprise.

The tank temp was 25 degrees, ph 7 and I'm assuming the cories were very happy, I'm loving these fish ill find some pics to post as well :)

Attachments