hemiodontichthys project-40 gal.

cup

Retired Staff
May 6, 2009
Berkeley, CA
Looks like I can get a trio from a resaler for ~23 bucks a piece. Guess I'm starting all over again.

watch this space.

cup

Retired Staff
May 6, 2009
Berkeley, CA
Everything's been set up for about half a month. Things are looking good. The end result:

40 gal breeder
3x p. apithanos
3x betta pugnax
5x hemiodontichthys
4x yunnanilus cruciatus

Turns out I possibly have 4 males and 1 female, at best 2 females, but whatever. They're awesome, very attractive, and very interesting tenants. The apithanos, pleasantly so, are very capable of being hand-fed.

a few notes:
as per the mouth structure of fish, it is a true sand siever in the most literal sense (as opposed to other laterally compressed sand dwellers with branching barbels for detecting savory morsels). As such, they tend to do a lot of sitting and sucking of the substrate. I have adjusted their diet accordingly, and feed mostly small, ground down bits of food, such as decapped brine shrimp eggs, golden pearls, and finely crushed algae wafers and veggie flakes. Were they to be housed with other more active and aggressively greedy bottom dwellers such as hypancistrus, they would almost assuredly be outcompeted. In any case, they are gaining weight, and the males are filling out their lips, so hopefully I'll get a holding clutch sometime in the near future.

In the works is a larger tank with all loricariines (planiloricaria, pseudohemiodon, hemiodontichthys, loricaria, pterosturisoma, and lamontichthys). A man can dream.

I'll get pics up when I have the chance.