Fat male or female zebra pleco

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
pictures are not in focus. Assuming it is a mature fish, then the males has longer odontodes on the front edge of the pectoral fins as well as their cheeks. You cant miss it but it needs the pictures to be in focus to tell. Adult males are also larger than females in length.

Looking at the 2nd picture for relative size (which is all the 2nd picture is good for), the fish appears to be around 6 to 7 cm. The absence of long odontodes on the cheeks and pectoral fins on the 1st picture would indicate a female (not in focus, so is all blurry and cant really tell). Body shape is of a typical female but then it can also be a 'bloated' male.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
its a dead set female for me.... eyes close together and doesnt have thick black stripe across the back of its head... cheek odontode doesnt have longer wisp on it... and it definitely doesnt have that triangular box head appearance of a dominate male

but i'd be a little bit concerned as it looks a little bloated.... or about to offload 30 odd eggs :whistle:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
yes i would say female, but still too fat for a female, so may have some bloat. try a diet of shelled peas for a few days and no wafers.