Common L021 Not Eating anything for a week now...Need Help Please!!

Kay W

Mar 3, 2011
Idaho
Hello, I have a common L021, he is 8 years old, had him since he was 1 1/2 inches long.
He had been eating just fine, algae wafers and zucchini but for the last week he hasn't touched anything, not even a nibble off the zucchini (which he usually devours).

One of the lights (there are 2) went out about 3 weeks ago and he's been staying on the side that the light has been out in the top corner, but he had been eating fine. The last week he hasn't touched anything.
His belly looks flat, haven't seen him poop much but was light brown when he did. No fuzzy on him or any outward signs of illness.

He is in a 55g tank, he has 9 tetras, and 4 khuli loaches.

Parameters are:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40
PH 6.8
Temp 79 degrees

Filter is a Eheim 2217 with 2 air stones
Water change is 20% once a week.

Diet is algae wafers (Tetra Veggie waffers) one a day and zucchini 1-2 times a week.

He has driftwood in the tank too.

I will be adding a new light today, but does anyone have any idea's or help about him not eating? Nothing has changed in about 6 months when the tetra's were added (quarantine tank first). It's just been in the last week he stopped eating. :dk:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
he might have an internal parasite. I would try and get meds for that and threat him accordingly. Maybe the light is the issue, but I would doublt that, but replace it anyway. good luck cheers jk :thumbup:

Kay W

Mar 3, 2011
Idaho
Thanks Bigbird, I have replaced the light with a LED bar today (finally got it in the mail).
He is pooping fine but not eating his waffers and zucchini :dk:

How would I tell if he does have parasites?

Kay W

Mar 3, 2011
Idaho
I took a really good look at him, his belly is actually sticking out just a bit, no redness or anything.

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i would maybe just fast him for another day, so do not feed him at all for 2 days. Then observe the poo and lining of the poo and let us know the outcome. I would also raise the temp 2-3deg C, do a 50% water change every 3days and add another air stone for more water and air movement. good luck cheers jk :thumbup:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
offer him some different food, eg some peas with skin off, just drop into tank, some green beans lightly cooked, maybe try a cooked prawn defrost a frozen one (i know they are mainly vegetarian but they do need occasional protein)

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi, agree with the use of de-shelled frozen peas-just nuke them in water for a minute, toss in some ice cubes then remove the shells. I would not give him any protien/meaty foods just yet, but the peas will help clean him out.

Also , your nitrate is kinda high at 40, so a few wc's to get it down. Could be an internal papasite, hard to tell, but if you add meds, be sure to add the extra air stone as it robs oxygen....that goes for it you raise the temp also- which should encourage him to eat..just be sure there is enough oxygen as he is at the bottom. Oh yeah, remove any uneaten peas in the morning and add new ones each night...

If you thnk it is parasites, I have used Paracide X by National Fish Pharmaceutial which is supposed to kill most parasites. You will need to make a mash of cooked peas-skin off- then make up the powder med with water and mix it in with the pea mash. Freeze , then break off a liitle and drop it in ... continue for 3 to 5 days. Good luck

Kay W

Mar 3, 2011
Idaho
He's been up near the top of the tank on the side wall ( head up near the top and tail at the bottom) just hanging out, he does this every so often. He seems to like to stay in the bubbles from the air stone or near it.

He did poop today after his 2 day fast and it was a thin brown color, not much since he hasn't eaten much lately.

I haven't had the heater on for a while, it's been pretty hot here for the last 2 weeks and it was about 80-82 degrees in the tank, but now that it is cooler the tank is down to 78-79 degrees, is it possible it's the temp. of the water why he's not eating?
I'll get some pea's for him to eat and do a few water changes. Adding the light didn't change anything but made the tank look better.

I do have the 2 air stones in the tank that's 55g. would that be enough for him or does he need more?

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
hanging on the top of the tank is a sure sign that there is a lack of oxygen etc in the water. immediately do a 50% water change every day and get more air bubbles in the water cheers jk:thumbup: