Hypancistrus I.D. Any ideas?

Feb 24, 2010
somerset,England
Hi this is one of the females of my breeding group of unidentified Hypans. I know she looks like a L066 but I'm sure they are a different Sp as the body shape is different & the fry don't look like the other L066 fry I have. It has been suggested that they may be Hypancistrus " lower xingu" as the male is very spotty particuallary on the tail. Any ideas are apprieciated as i'm lost & need an I.D. To sell the fry which I'm getting overrun with. Thanx in advance Mike.

Attachments

ridout

Nov 17, 2009
Wiltshire
Can't help you with the I.D. Sorry.
But for those that could help would probably ask for a clearer photo, so they could give you as positive I.D for you to sell the babies.

Ill keep an eye on the id. Might be interested in the babies.

Ridout

Feb 24, 2010
somerset,England
Thanks Rideout, I bought these from Bob (macvsog23) just before his tragic accident. He & The G man had settled on L410 but I'm not able to find any info on this Sp, Bob knew his hypans but Iv'e been challanged over the I.D. When trying to sell fry so am hoping someone here might be able to confirm his opinion or give me any other possibilities that I can research. I'll try to get a better quality photo with a proper camera instead of the I-pod one & to get some pics of the male as well. There are some pics in macvsog 23's breeding log for L410 that are quite good.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
would agree with Jo, I woud trust Bob to the end of the world and he knew his stuff. I would however take a beatiful new photo of this stunner, as they are not often seen over here and we can then get a closer look. cheers jk :thumbup:

Feb 24, 2010
somerset,England
Hi, thanks for the replies,Joe the pic is of one of two more or less identical adult females, the male has more spotting & his tail is covered in streaky spots. I will try to get some good pics with my 12mp camera of all three & post them. Bob bought them in a group of mixed Hypans from his LFS a couple of years ago. I considered Bob to be top of the class where Hypancistrus were concerned & have been happy to take his I.D. as correct. From now on I will advertise them as cf L410 & if anyone challenges ID I'll ask if they can do better!!
Again thanks to you all mike.