Pink nose and Pink Spot on belly

Elt31987

Jan 27, 2012
Stoneham,MA
I just bought a pleco 5". I didnt notice if he had it when i bought him but he has a pink nose and a small pink circle on his belly. Any ideas? Anything to worry about?

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
looks to me like a wound or infection possibly. what else is in the tank? could he have had a fight? is the heater covered? could he have heater burns? may be worth adding melafix and pimafix to help reduce infection as wound heals.

Elt31987

Jan 27, 2012
Stoneham,MA
2 African Cichlids. Milawi. The Electric Blue cichlid is slightly larger than the pleco but leaves him alone but the smaller albino likes to bother the pleco. The heater is not covered but I never see him near there, he’s usually just behind the filter tube. Ill dose MelaFix and PimaFix for 7 days and see if it helps. My other concern is that I don’t think the pleco is eating. All day he stays behind the Filter tube and only moves up and down in that area. I’ve tried Hikari wafers and Zucchini but neither ever seems eaten

Last edited:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
agree with members suggestions. Does he have a cave to feel safe and wood to help him digest food ? He would need these things also. :)
Hope he gets well soon. keep us informed

Georgie

Elt31987

Jan 27, 2012
Stoneham,MA
Ya theres 3 structures but he doesnt seem to want to go into any. Im currently setting up a new larger 60 Gallon Marineland tank so that everyone will have more room. Im hoping that will help him feel more comfortable.

Elt31987

Jan 27, 2012
Stoneham,MA
The white spot on his stomach has gotten smaller, about half the size and his nose seems to be healing. Keeping my hopes up!! New Marineland 60 Gallon should be ready in about 2 days

Elt31987

Jan 27, 2012
Stoneham,MA
Everyone is in the new 60 Gallon and the Pleco loves it. He is comfortable in 1 half of the ship wreck because its nice and dark and the Cichlids actually leave him alone for the most part now