Male bristlenose laying on his back

222Cam222

Nov 24, 2011
Newcastle NSW
My male bristlenose catfish has recently began laying upside down in his cave not attached to anything. So I'm wondering if this has happened to others and is the bristlenose going to die. :(

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi 222,
i remember reading something familar,so i just went on the bristlenose.com site to check. 1 person said it may be a concern, but others followed , moderators included ,and said it is not uncommon, and some suggested they do this when they are comfortable. Perhaps others here can give their opinion as i am only going by the discussion on a different site.
HTH
Georgie

Ryno

Aug 27, 2011
Sydney Australia
Is He breathing heavy whilst doing this? If not I wouldn't worry I I have seen my BN do this ( it's like the have fallen asleep and just let go. But I am no expert. What are your water peraminters

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
They do it, have seen a fair few photos of it.

My old common did it and I shat myself first time then, realised it wasn't an issue.

Jimmy

Mar 21, 2011
UK
It's something quite common with BN's, I even have a wild caught fish that has done it severel times.

It could be a fishy equivalent of having a nap after a good meal :lol::lol:

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Totally nothing to worry about-my male does just a little while before he mates, think his saying his ready to be flat on his back with the wife :)

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
So long as not heavy breathing yes its totally normal. My hypans even do it, quite often go in and find my 174s lazing around on their backs :fr:

222Cam222

Nov 24, 2011
Newcastle NSW
Not sure of the water parameters but the temp is 26 degrees. He released the fry about 4 days ago and I have noticed him on his back since.
He is breathing slowly compared to the female bristlenose in the tank.

I have a homemade cave in the tank that is joined with silicon that has been in the tank for 3 weeks and there are small bite size holes. I have seen the fry nibbling on this and they r fine. Is this maybe what is causing him to lay on his back.

I feed the shrimp, guppies and bristlenose cucumber, zucchini, cauliflower stalk, occasionally deshelled peas and shrimp pellets. Would this also be causing the problem.

Thanks

Last edited: