002 fry problems

slantula

Dec 7, 2011
port macquarie
Hi guys,

My L002s have spawned twice now but both times i have found fry scattered around the tank with most of their egg sack still so i obviously have a lazy dad. But even once i collect them and put them in a fry saver with an air stone they all die within a couple of days. No idea how to stop it any help would be great

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Perhaps the cave has a slight slant downwards? Try propping the front of the cave up to prevent fry being kicked out so early.
Add a dried indian almond leaf to the tank to help keep bacterial problems at bay and keep water changes up to scratch.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I agree, keep the water changes going every couple of days do 10-20%. can you tell us a bit about your water? soft/hard. ph and temp?

slantula

Dec 7, 2011
port macquarie
Hey there
my water is soft ph 6.8, tds 135, gh 3-4, kh 1-2 temp 28.
i am running low on my rain water so my changes havnt been as frequent as i would like but my water quality stays very good from using a sump with macropore in it. i met a guy yesterday and he had exactly the same problem with his 002's. i have put the cave on a lean so ill wait and see next time.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
sometimes the male kicks them out early because he gets disturbed. either by another fish annoying him (what else is in the tank?)or lots of activity around the tank (sometimes worth covering front of tank if in area where lot of traffic) or torches being shined etc.
So keep a watch or remove some fish etc maybe might help.