L333? L066? or crossbreed perhaps?

Rocky

Feb 5, 2012
brisbane
i have recently acquired a beautiful fish but was also recently contacted by the person whom i recieved this beautiful fish from that this fish may be a crossbreed as the person they bought it from as a fry is in a bit of bother for selling crossbreeds as l333s. so i have some pictures for you to peruse please let me know what you think is it an L333 or a L066 or crossbred. if some could sex this pleco also that would be very helpful. thanks

the first 3 photos were taken on the 19/11/11 and the final 4 were taken on the 15/4/12

Attachments

axle

Sep 4, 2009
Perth Australia
Im no expert but it looks to me like a yellow 066. I must admit tho its nice of the seller to contact you to inform of crossbreeding chances. All the same its a nice looking fish and if unsure, do not breed from this fish. Great for display though in My opinion.

Rocky

Feb 5, 2012
brisbane
Thank you for your input axle. It was extremely kind of them to share that it might be s crossbreed with me I totally agree. Does anyone else have an opinion? Please?

Glyndwr

Apr 29, 2012
Devon
I think it is really hard to tell both L066 and L333 have white and yellow variants and they can be hard to tell apart at the best of times, let alone if they're hybrids. Either way, it looks nice.

Rocky

Feb 5, 2012
brisbane
Ok thanks for your input all. I'm still open to anyone else's opinion. Looks like this one is becoming a display pleco. Now to make a new display tank lol

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Do you have any L066 to compare it to Rocky?
I agree with lcrazy there does appear to be more density to the lines than on a L333.
Heres a photo of one of my L333 a few years old and she has the most dense lines of my few I own. My others don't have as much.

Looking at mine and then back at yours, mine doesn't seem to be as dense in lines as yours is.

Looking side on at mine, yours has a different tail as well to mine.
Your seems to have much longer tips on the tail and a deeper sort of a fork whereas mine, although a nice tail too is more an arch shape with no really long bits.

I agree with you, put it aside for a while until its finished all its growth and line alterations and perhaps compare it to a L066 rather than a L333 later on?
It could well be a L066 that was mistakenly mixed up with L333's as juvies?

Last edited:

Rocky

Feb 5, 2012
brisbane
hey brenda i do have some 66's got them from you a couple of months ago so they are still smallish would that matter. im in the process of getting it out again to get some more photos including a tail shot. i will post again in the next hour or so

Rocky

Feb 5, 2012
brisbane
make that in the not too distant future bloody thing is awesome at making it impossible to get to and now its bed time, so it'll be take 2 tomorrow lol

Rocky

Feb 5, 2012
brisbane
alright ROCKY WINS lol. here is some side on pics i have also taken with a definate l066 (the smaller pleco) that was purchased from brengun a couple of months ago.

well it looks like a 66 to me but i would love anyones input please

cheers rocky

Attachments

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Seeing as the L066 juvie is only young and already outstrips your L333 in tail filaments and your L333 although has nice filament tips, she still has the correct C shape to the tail feathering.

I would think she is a L333 but a bit of L066 might have snuck in there somewheres.

You could try putting her to a typical L333 male in the future and see if she throws true L333 and her tail just happens to be a throwback to a cross and she was unlucky to get it?

They do both crossbreed in the wild so you never know it might have been a one off to actually show up on her.