Can I have a rant?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
As fish breeders we search high and low to find a pair of L's to breed. Sometimes there is nothing for it but to buy juvies and spend a couple of years growing them up to adults to breed.

Finally you get cute little fry which you think the world of. You take heaps of photos and spam all your friends with them.

You might even lose a few fry while raising them as you aren't a real professional and it cuts to the core to lose any. But all good if the majority grow to around 4cm with no dramas.

No....you cannot keep them all, although you would love to, its not fair on the other adults you are keeping to have to move over for fry to live to adults as well so you have to sell some.

You get a buyer apply and he pays you the required sum. You package them up and send them off with a sad farewell, but happy they are going to a new home to be loved.

The fish arrive according to your online tracking, since you are watching for their safe arrival like a mother hen.

And..................................Nothing!

Not a phone call nor a pm to even let you know thanks for the fish they all arrived good as gold. :cry:

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
They are the most inconsiderate, it boils my blood people could be so thoughtless..Really does...
Hugz Bren, hopeful he gets in touch soon..

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
where has common courtesy gone ? Idiots, make the effort just to reply and say all good...........wake up to yourself....cheers me :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
where has common courtesy gone ? Idiots, make the effort just to reply and say all good...........wake up to yourself....cheers me :thumbup:
Agree, and I am sure if there were any problems in the shipping, you would be hearing from them for sure . So what did happen to common courtesy these days ?

Just my opinion.

Georgie

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
It is amazing how inconsiderate and plain rude some people are. I have long said common courtesy is becoming a thing of the past.
On the plus side it makes it a pleasure dealing with the decent ones out there.............you know, the ones who text to let you know they're coming and actually show up when they say etc.

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
As a breeder you feel good to know that the new carier of your breeders fry (as said most of us have spent years grOwing )
But what I hate is people who haggle making you think your fish are worthless
People should stick to there prices

Last edited:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Hmmmm I have learned that with some ethnic sorts, haggling is a part of their life.
Its not personal and you can stick to your price if you want, but they will still ask and they don't mean to come across as poor or insulting. :)

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
There is nothing wrong with haggling if you are buying a good number of fish but trying to tell you that they will buy 1 or 2 for half of asking price if beond reasonable

Iv dropped prices with every sale iv done if its throwing in an extra fry or more depending on sale and person if they haggled or not and iv also made a choice not to deal with people whome a just down rood
People telling that that they buy the same fish for half the price so you need to match it ? I guess it might work on some breeders? But when I say that is not feasible for me they continue to text call to tell you they will pay more ? Then shocked thAt I don't want to sell them anything ?
Just go to Buy from your other supplier from the beginning but there is none!

That is what I meant in sticking to prices yes give a discount throw in a extra fish but don't let them take your fry/fish for nothing and most of all don't sell to those who are just rood
Somehow everyone knows better than you ?

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
You are right foti, it is indeed somewhat insulting aswell when you are treated in such a way. I find that by giving people i deal with regularly or get along with quiet well something a little extra whether it be a couple of fry or stuff i no longer need then they are more then willing to buy from me in future :)

Ultimately though people these days are a great deal about what they can get for nothing or quiet cheaply. I wouldnt be surpised if those people who ask ridiculously cheap prices do not indeed care about the fish rather then simply making a quick profit.