Dead fry

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
Have found 2 dead albino fry in my breeding tank this morning, were 2 i was keeping from my first batch of bred bn's. Unsure as to why they have died as my water is fine imo.

19/04/12
PH 6.6
Ammonia – 0
Nitrite – 0
Nitrate – 5-10ppm
KH - 3
temp - 29

pics of the last one i took out of the tank

Any suggestions?

excuse other stuff in net lol

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
Only thing i have been doing differently is normally i would gravel vac out the poo atleast once a day however have left it for 3 days or so before doing it.

The first one i found was upside down under a piece of driftwood and the second depicted in photo was near one of my filter intakes.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I would go back to doing the gravel vac everyday, does look bacterial. Might worth investing in a TDS monitor too

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Ill have a look when im on this evening. The guppies that died, were they in same tank?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
If guppies died it was because the ph is a very low 6.6 and they probably dont have enough aquarium salt to keep them happy either. I have the same trouble if my ph is kept too low too. Once I buffer it up to 7 or so they all cheer up. :)

Oh btw, sneak down in the middle of the night and check ph if you have a lot of plants in the tank. You might find that ph is dropping a whole lot further than you think in the dead of night.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Yup I have a HM one too. Best tds meter I have ever had.
Thought since I have been guilty once or twice of accidentally dropping it in the tank a couple times and it takes days to dry out properly to use again that I would buy another brand from an aussie shop.

Bad idea but I think I have finally figured out whats wrong with it. Although I bought it as a tds meter and thats what it says on the box, the darn thing is measuring microS instead. Oh well I suppose I could use a calculator and divide it by 0.64 to get TDS lol.

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
found another dead big fry this morning he was pretty much close to a white piece of blank paper.

If i dose with pimafix and dont remove the carbon out of the filter would their be a negative affect? Starting to get concerned it may affect the adult pepps.

The dead fry this morning there was no redness to the body no bloating, not sunken in, no red worms hanging out of its bum -shrugs-

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
If i dose with pimafix and dont remove the carbon out of the filter would their be a negative affect? Starting to get concerned it may affect the adult pepps.

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
just found another dead guppy too, had his head wedged between the intake cover how it clips on.

Pulled filter apart to get it out and notice the tank only had one of the basic black carbon pads which come in them so not particularly worried about that one as i am pretty sure its due for replacing anyway. I got that filter with the tank and only has wool on level 1 with some rigid blue mesh stuff, then level 2 is black carbon pad and then media, level 3 blue sponge and more media.

so i am guessing this is mainly going to be good for building up bacteria. Just did a dose of pimafix will treat for a week as a precaution for fungal disease.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Regarding primafix, its been so long since I used it I can't remember if you need to take carbon out but it should say on the bottle. You could be better off using primafix and melafix together rather than just the primafix and also increase aeration. If the primafix isn't helping you may have to consider something stronger imo but trying to find out why they are dying is important to determine which treatment to use if needed