Is this normal? L202s

chee78

Mar 10, 2012
South Australia
Recently got six 7-9cm L202s, not knowing how to sex them when buying, I think I got 5 males and 1 female, just my luck!!!!!!:wb::wb:

They have been in my planted tank for about two weeks now, noticed one small (7cm) male has kick the common BN out of its cave, it also trapped the female (9cm) in there yesterday, notice this morning the female is out but the male is still in there, can't see much in the cave but male has not come out since.

I assume there may be eggs inside the cave, the funny thing is, is it normal for the female to keep returning to the cave and hanging around the outside, almost seem like she is protecting the cave? or hasn't she laid the eggs?:dk::dk::dk:

chee78

Mar 10, 2012
South Australia
Brengun! The male is still in the cave, if he is sitting on eggs, what should I do next? I have access to a large fry saver, should I put the complete cave with the male in it now, the chances of the frys getting eaten is about 99% if they enter the main tank once hatched. Female still waiting outside every now and then! What is the incubation period for pleco eggs?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
From about a week from suspected laying, shine a torch in the cave.
If you see little reflective eyes usually hanging like bats from the ceiling of the cave in front on the male pleco, then they are ready to tip out of the cave into a frysaver.

As long as you don't see any damage to the males tail which means other plecos are trying to get the eggs, he should be fine to guard for a week.

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
It sounds like he may have spawned if he's not leaving the cave. Sometimes I find that the female does hang around the cave after spawning, perhaps she hasn't quite finished laying but he hoofed her out :dk:

If you are really worried then take the cave and male out into the fry saver or as Bren says, wait approx 1 week and then tip them out of the cave into the saver.

Good luck!

chee78

Mar 10, 2012
South Australia
Fasle alarm!!! Doesn't appear to have eggs in cave, try to see with a torch but nothing really, male is still in there, 3 days now, are the eggs really small and what colour?

phear

Mar 13, 2012
adelaide
usually if the female is hanging around the cave and the male is staying in there they are wanting to breed.

keep up with feeding good quality foods and make sure the water is good.

try doing a 40% waterchance and then a 25% in a couple of days. the next storm may get them to go too if the waterchange doesnt.

hope this helps.

lcrazy

Oct 11, 2009
camden
7cm males are a bit small to breed however as subadults they prepare, Male will start to cave once he has found a sutable cave, sit at mouth of the cave and fan, this dose a couple of things 1- the males will fan alot as sub's because there building there strength up, 2- attracting a mate, females wont bother with males they dont think will be strong enough, fannining males is just what a female wants, 202 arnt a very aggressive fish so your ratio should be ok.