Hair cut

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi, this plant in my 75L is getting to big now.
How much can I cut off it with out killing it. There's plenty of
growth with lots of new baby plants, let me know if u still won't them
darrel. It's just to big now and needs a hair cut:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Is it just that big narrow leaved Java fern that need a trim? If it is, you need to cut away the older rhizome (with no leaves or just older leaves). This will leave you a lot of single rhizomes. Just tie, staple or super-glue the newer rhizomes on, with the growing tip (where the new leaves are growing) pointing towards the space that you want the plant to grow into.

You will end up with a lot spare, but don't throw them away. I usually just super-glue any spare bits to small bits of dead wood with a tuft of moss and leave them in the tank, any spare "spare" I take to the LFS. Older leaves with new plantlets, I staple onto the wood (through the old leaf), and usually the new plants will attach. Ordinary steel staples (from a £2 plastic stapler etc) are fine to use. If you've got time and space even the older rhizomes will eventually grow new leaves again.

The planted bits you can always sell via Ebay, credit at LFS etc. once they've established a bit.

let me know if u still won't them darrel.
Dave, thanks very much for the offer and remembering me, I don't really need any at the moment, but if you really think you have so much that you will throw it away, I will buy any spare spare from you.

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
well the hair cut is done.had to do it 3 days early cos i just found out "we are going xmas shopping friday".glad i cut it tho cos there was a lot of dead mush in the middle.
most went in the bin but the good bits went back on the wood,with black cotton.
cheers for info tho darrel.
it did well the last time i trimed it,so fingers crossed:

on the up side,the flow around the tank is moving every single plant leave now,and the tetras are loving it.

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Dave where you've pruned the leaf blades off, the remaining stubs will die and fall off. New leaves will grow from the rhizomes, but it will take a while. It is better to take off all the old tatty leaves, but leave the newer ones.

For example in this one, I'd trim the dead end of the rhizome off (on right) to where it was green and had roots growing (so almost 1/2 of it removed), and then I'd take the oldest tatty leaf off, and just leave the 2 good leaves and the new leafs growing at the growing tip on the left. Hope that makes sense.

cheers Darrel

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Well the plant turned to brown and went all mushy.
So binned it and got a new one:

It's already got new shoots on it.
Added some red ramshorn snails too. I must say they are doing a great job on the BBA.
I gave my assassins to my bro, he,s got big snail problems at the mo.
tank is looking nice now:

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi all, gave my 75L and big trim today
[ame="http://s747.photobucket.com/user/tenerds/media/fish%20tank/AD6DD3CB-B0CC-4224-968D-04F107798AA1_zpst1sa2xpr.jpg.html"]AD6DD3CB-B0CC-4224-968D-04F107798AA1_zpst1sa2xpr.jpg Photo by tenerds | Photobucket[/ame]
It's a bit cloudy cos off the water change.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
wow , looks beautiful :clap: and love the slate in the other tank :yes: nice job with your green thumb. I am envious :)

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Here's a pic of my 75L now. Some little changes but love the look now.
[ame="http://s747.photobucket.com/user/tenerds/media/fish%20tank/9872F5E6-EE29-4692-BBE3-F2A4ED90DB75_zpslzd3403e.jpg.html"]9872F5E6-EE29-4692-BBE3-F2A4ED90DB75_zpslzd3403e.jpg Photo by tenerds | Photobucket[/ame]

Last edited:

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
cheers Darrel,the Cryptocoryne balansae is a great plant.when it gets to long,and starts to get tangled up in my recirculating pump,i trim it right back so there no leaves......and with in a week new ones show and it grows much quicker.been sorting my floating plants out too,got rid of most of the duck weed,was starting to be a pain....also added more media to my filter to make more flow..