L010a any one know of any breeders in aus

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i have a colony of about 15... but no recent fry...

i wont be selling any till i sort out what i think is gill flukes... they have been puffing a little bit last few days... treating at the moment with formalin/malachite green at half strength...

with no new fish introductions in the room where do flukes come from???

im told most fish carry flukes but they never multiply to the level where they become a problem to the fish until fish becomes stressed or sick.... how true is this??? anyone else know

pauldoit

Sep 4, 2012
Belgrave, Melbourne
From memory gill flukes can lay eggs that are pretty hardy and can transmit in water and last long periods under various conditions etc. Any snails crept in? From discus days I used to treat with praziquantel but I'm unsure whether your catfish are sensitive to prazi. I guess you've thought of prazi treatment as being a bit more agressive/efficacious over dye treatments?

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
unfortunately catties are pretty sensitive to most medications... definitely cant salt them....

there are several different types of flukes... some egg layers and supposidly some livebearers too... been reading they can and likely will reinfect even after you think you've wiped them out...

going to retreat every 3 days to hopefully nail any eggs that survived the early assault and hatched.... long process....

just really annoyed i dont know where they came from...

no_carbz

Jul 21, 2013
nsw
No worrys mate good luck with it hope it goes away when u get fry if u remember there sold I adore these . I'm breeding long nose and royals ATM and wanna get them on board cheers