help save my little girl :(

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
she may not be much nor is she the prettiest of the bunch but shes just as important to me! i found her this morning with what looks to be an infected pec fin? heres a pic take a look opinions wanted!

Feb 24, 2010
somerset,England
Hi, it,s difficult to be sure from a photo but it looks as if it could be bacterial infection from a previous graze/scratch, I have had fish that showed symptoms similar to those in the photo that presented with internal bacterial infection within days so swift action is vital !! NT labs do a product called Anti Internal bacteria here in the UK that is almost a miracle cure for this ailment, if you can aquire some I highly recomend it-it is a permanent in my medical kit! If there is "fur" present on the wound then it is fungal, either primary or it could be secondary infection, I would use a dose of Pimafix even if fur isn't present as a preventative.
Hope this helps,Mike.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Looks quite bad.
If you aren't too squeamish to handle a pleco I would catch it and daub Betadine liquid onto it with a cotton tip. Be careful not to drop it into the gills. Blow on it to dry for a min or two and return it either to the main tank or a hospital tank if you have one.

Keep the water pristine until it heals.

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
okay will try that, shes in a fry saver atm in the tank she came from or should i put her into her own tank?

thanks guys this helps alot!

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Hope she is still doing ok-great advice from others.disagree with one thing you said though, she is very pretty!
Get her into her own tank and do daily water changes -what medication did you get?
Api is a very effective brand.
Keep us up to date-wishing you both the best.
Cc

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
she is:) shes just as special! i have been treating daily with melafix so far, will she have affected any other fish? or is this just like when we graze our knee?

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
bacterial infections can be transfered best thing is to keep an eye on the others. Make sure you stay up to date with super water changes on the tank she came from as well.
Others may have miore advice...
hope she keeps getting better
cc

ForrestGreen

Sep 18, 2012
optional
Same thing has happen to my pleco since yesterday morning and I was searching good medicine for it. Here I got valuable tip and I’m going to try through it.

PlecoMM

May 9, 2012
Perth
shes still battling it off, bless her. it doesnt look like the fix it twins have completely worked shes healed up but still got the white fur now. doesnt look like shes bothered by it lol im still trying

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I find the fixes good for small things, but if you need something more potent then I use esha2000 which works well and does not wreck the filter etc. (also safe for fry and eggs).
keep an eye on any others form the original tank in case any infection has spread
good luck