Common BN growing issues

jumon

Nov 2, 2011
Nouméa
Hello everyone,

I have some problems to get my BN big, I gave some babies to my friends and they are really big in their tanks now, compare to mines that are still small sized.

This is what I do:

One big tank of 200Liters
One small tank of 75 Liters

both are well filtered and oxygenated, and fed once a day by pellets and cucumber sometimes.

Water changes are done every two weeks on average, with filters cleaned up once a month.

Does it stress that avoid growth?
what am I doing bad?:dk:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
You probably newer more water changes. Fish waste produces components that can serve as growth inhibitors. These aren't compounds that can be filtered out or tested for. Monitoring of nitrates and Tds is your best means to ensure optimum water. Many breeder change water every day.

jumon

Nov 2, 2011
Nouméa
hey thanks for that quick reply lornek!!

What is Tds?? so basically i need to siphon the waste as much as possible?
is there anything else? temperature.. ? food?

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
siphon more waste but changer more water!
TDS- total dissoleved solids- lornek will be able to tell you all i am sure, but ubtil then type in the search on this site and goggle it.

I sell my bn fry to my lfs and the fry i sell to them are always half the size of the ones i keep.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Tds is total dissolved solids or basically all the compounds dissolved in the water. It's essentially a measure of how pure the water is.

While siphoning the waste is important it's really the amount of water changed that's important. Food and water temp are important to a point but without adequate water changes you still might not achieve quick healthy growth.

beencees

Nov 5, 2011
Brisbane
Advice given here is 100% correct. Frequent partial water changes is the number one thing.
I would also recommend feeding smaller quantities twice a day and set temp at about 25C (77F).
Sure you will find growth rates improve alot with this.

jumon

Nov 2, 2011
Nouméa
thanks everyone for your help! I'll post some pics of the fry! I'll read this article, it's gonna take me a lil moment cuz english is not my first language!!

thanks again folks!!

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
3mth old fry should be at least 3-4cm...

i put in bulk food and do bulk water changes... simple really food in and poop out.... more in - need to take more out....

i have 500+ 3-4cm b/n in 70 litre tanks and achieve good growth rates. keep nitrates below 40ppm... good filtration and plenty of water changes...

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
thanks everyone for your help! I'll post some pics of the fry! I'll read this article, it's gonna take me a lil moment cuz english is not my first language!!

thanks again folks!!

cant believe englise is not your first- you would not have guessed it by how you write! respect as I have problems with my first language! lol

re: long time to read- google has a translation tool that is really easy to use.

respects
cc

jumon

Nov 2, 2011
Nouméa
thank you ccole! this is encouraging! :)
Thanks to all for your advices! I'll do some more water changes! I hope they will grow up faster now!!

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
hey there-
did you give a rough size of them? cant see anything in the tank for compaison. They look healthy even if they may be undersized.
respect
cc