Gold and blue rams?

Plague1479

May 16, 2012
Stoke on Trent
Could any one help me as I'm fairly new to breeding rams? I have a 90l comunity tank with a rock feature that has 4 cave that are open at both ends, would this be adaquite for my rams to breed in and if not could you please give me some advise on what to do folks as I can't affrd to set up an additional breeding tank. Plus my rams are Blue rams and Gold rams, what would there fry be? Thanks this would be a great help.:hi:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well I bred blue rams quite a few times, never managed to keep the fry more than a couple of weeks then they just seemed to die off, I probably did not try hard enough with the water parameters or something. my gold just fought until the female died. I am not too sure about putting both in one tank. have you more than one male as this could give you problems. mine did not lay eggs on tubes but went for a large leaf. do you have any plants in the tank?

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Hiya & welcome..
Rams...OK IMO, in a community tank you have very little chances of them surviving..
They like flat rocks and plants with flat leaves to spawn on..The water must be pristine..They breed readily but the raising of the fry is the challenge..
I have had Gold & Blue breed together, the fry didn't make it..
I imagine this is how they got the different colour morphs to begin with..

Last edited:

Plague1479

May 16, 2012
Stoke on Trent
well I bred blue rams quite a few times, never managed to keep the fry more than a couple of weeks then they just seemed to die off, I probably did not try hard enough with the water parameters or something. my gold just fought until the female died. I am not too sure about putting both in one tank. have you more than one male as this could give you problems. mine did not lay eggs on tubes but went for a large leaf. do you have any plants in the tank?
Yeh I have plenty of plants, flat leaves, slate ect One of my main conserns is I have 2 coridoris in the tank and one of them is very hiper...Won't the male ram guard the eggs?

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Cory's will consume eggs if they find them, and because corys are a bit buff headed, the ram might not get his message across before the corys has finished off the eggs.