Another I.D Please?

booboo0126

Sep 10, 2010
Bedford
Hi all
could some kind person help me identify and sex my little Plec please? I have attached the only pictures I have so wont hold out too much hope that this can be dont easily, however, here goes.....

kind regards
Johnny

Attachments

booboo0126

Sep 10, 2010
Bedford
A whopper in the making then.....

Its a Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, and a nicely marked one.
That's excellent Matt, thanks very much! I have read the profile for this fish and its going to grow to be a whopper! I am currently cycling a 4ft tank for all my fish (including Pleco) to move into but now wonder if I am going to need an even bigger one.........
I also read that sexing this type is well nigh impossible and likewise, breeding has never occurred in captivity which is a shame. In truth I am a little uncomfortable keeping a fish that has probably been hauled out of a South American river but its now a bit late to worry about that I suppose.............

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
In truth I am a little uncomfortable keeping a fish that has probably been hauled out of a South American river but its now a bit late to worry about that I suppose.............
I think that this is a very legitimate concern for a fish that is difficult/impossible to breed in the aquarium, but in this case you don't need to worry as they are commercially pond bred in SE Asia/Florida in large numbers.

cheers Darrel

Warborg

Oct 17, 2009
Austin,Texas
What the others said, most likely it came from Florida(from a mud pond). Back in the 90's they ran a higher price of $20 for a baby... now they can be had for $5(mainly due to local breeding).

booboo0126

Sep 10, 2010
Bedford
What the others said, most likely it came from Florida(from a mud pond). Back in the 90's they ran a higher price of $20 for a baby... now they can be had for $5(mainly due to local breeding).
Thanks all, I am at least reassured by your comments about where pleccy originated from. It is a pity it cant be sexed but hey ho, I can live with it.

Kind regards
Johnny