Matubula's Panaque Thread

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
That Xingu is about 21cm/8". I measured most of them a couple of months ago and made a list, I'll try to find it and give an update on them.

This is George, my first royal from way back in late 2006, who is now about 23cm/9" and growing his 'chew chew' well.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I'm all about the chocolate hobnobs.

They were strangely active, but sedate towards me, when I was taking the photos. I have four that are now 20cm+ (two L190, two L027X) so I'm seeing more territorial/aggressive behaviour now from them. The smaller of the two L027X seems the most aggressive but I can't tell who is the boss. It seems a three way tie with the two L027X and L190 George (the other L190 that turned yellow is quite chilled).

winglion

May 14, 2012
China
Cool fish, from the picture, I guess now the body shape of the L27 became more flatter, they are 20Cm now, did you recorded how fast they grow? my L27 are about 12 CM, when will mine grow into a 20CM...

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
The two largest of L027 Xingu were about 18cm (1 year ago) and 23cm (2 years ago) when I got them, and now about 21cm and 25cm.

The small L027 Tapajos I've had for coming up to a year, was about 7cm when I got it, 10cm in June and now maybe 12cm.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Yeh, I sold one that was about 15cm for £40, I didn't particularly like it, which Is why I sold it. I've still got 7, I'd like more. Unungy has a wholesale offer of 50 for $2500 which really got my mind going. I'd love to see a big tank full of wood with 50 little buggers in it.

I think, in general, yes, their colour does improve with age, but it's also dependent on several factors. I have one Xingu who I would consider a very high quality with bright yellow 90% of the time, and rest falling into lower percentages. Being active boldens their colour, but the norm for most of them is a dull browny yellow when they're just still. Getting them used to full lights helps, but takes ages for them to get comfortable under them. When I take pictures with the lights on, it's only the boldest that come out often and their colour is usually brighter. For the past 6 months or so I've been using the lights more and now the majority are relatively comfortable openly feeding. But the best way, and my favourite way. Is with lids up and room halogen spotlights on, like I am as I write this. I can see 8 of the 12 in the tank right infront of me, but I have been sitting here for the past hour or so.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I think I took these with my new Fuji X10, a little rangefinder compact.

This is the strange one I've never been sure about, certainly an ugly duckling.