Leucistic L080

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Well after the heartache of losing my female 114 I seem to have produced something odd.

I have a colony of 9 L080 and they spawn on and off and have always produced very typical looking fry.

Two days ago I found another batch in the cave with one of the males but noticed that some looked different. I flushed the cave with the intent of growing them out in my shrimp tank and discovered that 3 of the 14 lacked any typical markings, they have a general pale appearance with some dark dusty markings around the head and dorsal.

I'll try to get some pics. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen before with this species?

antz1961

Mar 21, 2011
Melbourne
I've just hatched some Red whiptail L010a eggs that were being kicked out of the cave.
Looks as if I have several leucistic fry, showing no pigmentation and having dark eyes. I noticed that the eggs were a different color (greenish) to the normal eggs.
Now the challenge is to grow them out and see what the result is.
I'll try and get some pics up, those that I've taken show the normal and the leucistic fry, just hatched and a couple of eggs of each not yet hatched.

Interested to know if anyone else has had similar experience with Red Whiptails.

antz1961

Mar 21, 2011
Melbourne
Finally got around to getting some pics up of the red whiptail unhatched eggs, fry just hatching and fry a couple of days old.

As you can see even the unhatched eggs are different in color.