do all L's either sex kick up the gravel ?

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
Hi guys, just wonder if both sexes of any L kick up the gravel ? I have one that does this under the wood he hangs under . He/she has swept all the gravel out from under his hidey place--the wood--all the way to the glass(however I don't have a very thick substrate) . Just wondered because I never saw this before when I had my blue phantoms. It almost seems he/she does it to provide a peek-out in the tank and everything going on in the room ? Is this normal ?

Raul-7

Oct 21, 2011
CA
Yes, they do it to make room to hide. Maybe you should provide more hiding places in the form of shaded areas and overhangs.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks Raul 7 , I have a huge piece of wood in there , but had it standing up because it looked better, it has all kinds of twists and holes and lumps, so I laid it down and now he has a whole village under there !! I was not thinking previously that the way I had it for my pleasure only gave him a slim part to live under :wb::wb: but after reading your advice I realized it was not fair to him and he could really have a cool , large place to move around under if I laid it down, and just moved a tall plant to give some height where the wood stood upwards. Looks great and he must me a happy camper :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i also think they do it in in order to position the flow of the water to go into the cave and also for comfort. With the moving of the gravel they also provide for themselves water flow for food and current , however it might also be that they need more hiding spots so add some more caves. cheers jk
ps these are just my thoughts and good luck

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks jk , yeah, the wood is quite large and with all it's holes and bumps, it doesn't sit flat on the gravel except in like 3 places, very sturdy , so it seems the water flow can get under it ok, and he has not pushed the gravel out from anywhere as the wood sits up a few inches in most places. Appreciate your advice :)

scobie140

May 4, 2011
Falkirk
My L146 just re arranges the tank to suit him self with the l200 wiping my plants out in the cover of darkness. Fed up covering bare bits of tank and fixing plants and wood etc!

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi guys , this is an L264 and he really blends in with the black gravel as he is grey with black dots. I think he is happy now and at least he can move around under the wood with lights on if he wants. I know he meanders at night with lights off, but this way is so much better, as a wild caught L, he really needed someplace he could move ''safely'' without being seen and the wood on it's side seems do do the trick. :) thanks everyone , really appreciate your responses to help me have a happy sultan !