Quarantine delays within Australia.

antz1961

Mar 21, 2011
Melbourne
Just a word of warning to Aussies shipping to W.A.
Western Australia has quarantine laws,
(I didn't realize it wasn't part of Australia)
All fish going into W.A. have to inspected.
I obviously should have done more homework.

I spoke to several people at qantas freight (aae), to try and minimize the flight times and "stress" as these fish were travelling from Melb to Perth then onto Geraldton.
Nobody that i communicated with verbally or via email warned me or alerted me to the quarantine regulations.
Best time to send the fish was 6.30 am, they were to arrive in Perth at
1.30 pm,
Then leave Perth for Geraldton at 4.10 pm and be ready for pick-up around 5.45 pm ( 13 hours door to door ).

I fasted the fish for 2 days prior to freighting, then packed them with a couple of drops of prime in each bag.(double bagged, double banded)
I had 3 bags of L144LF sub adults (2,2&3), ready to go.
Got to Qantas freight on time at 6:30 am and they were on their way.
I kept tracking the fish via the AWB and they didn't seem to leave Melbourne.
Then after 3.00 pm they arrived in Perth, followed closely by departing from Melbourne.( somebody was being a bit slack).

After many calls between Qantas freight / the buyer and myself, we established that the fish were being held in Quarantine and that they would be inspected in the morning, after which they were to board a Virgin flight at 2.10pm and arrive ready for pick-up 4.00pm.
4.00 pm came and went the fish still didn't arrive.
More frantic calls between Qantas freight / the buyer and myself, we finally got the fish on a flight which was to land at 7.30 pm

The buyer got the fish home at 8:00 pm (total time in bags 39 hours)
Only 3 times the initial estimate!!!
I would not of sent the fish if i had known it would take that long.

Any ways a happy ending for all the fish have now been settled in their new home for a week and there was no loss of life.

I know that Tassie has quarantine regulations, does anybody know of other states in Aus. that have regular delays for whatever reason?
Has anybody else had similar experience when shipping?
What's the longest door to door time that people are comfortable with when shipping live fish?

Hopefully this sharing this experience helps to save others from the amount of stress that was endured by the fish the buyer and the seller.

Last edited:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
WA has always had quarantine inspection into WA from any other state...

they primarily check for plants and snails only.... SO NO PLANTS OR SNAILS TO WA please !!!

previously inspection was free to privateers... only commercial lots were charged... this has changed recently and now everybody is being charged... min charge on 1 small box is $56.00

now the sender doesnt do anything differently... its up to the buyer/receiver to book and organise quarantine inspection on arrival...

quarantine is open from 8am-4pm weekdays only... no after hours inspections are done... so if your fish arrive too late then you have to wait untill the next day :( some commercial large shipments may be inspected after hours with prior arrangement and they get charged accordingly...

so when freighting to WA take into account the time difference and make sure the shipment arrives with plenty of time to be inspected... even go to the extent of shipping over night to arrive first thing in the morning in WA....

inspection is literally the bag being lifted out of the box and looked through for snails and plants - none found goes back in the box... job done inspection complete... the receiver will either be invoiced for inspection or can pay on the spot with plastic (card)... depending on what the inspector wishes to do...

hope that clears up any misconceptions freighting to WA :thumbup:

antz1961

Mar 21, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks for the info guys,
The contact number for Quarantine WA - (08) 9334 1800.
The people there seem very helpful.
As BigJohnfish said,

"" its up to the buyer/receiver to book and organise quarantine inspection on arrival""
in order to avoid inspection delays & extended travel time for the fish.

Cheers guys