New type of breeding/hiding cave/tunnel *feedback required

antz1961

Mar 21, 2011
Melbourne
Hi SilverDub,
Looks good & great idea, in my opinion anything 'natural looking' is preferable to have in the aquarium.
I'm not sure if you've seen my 'hole style caves'......
http://www.plecoplanet.com/forum/photoplog/index.php?n=5891
I use slate as the face with some irregular holes & caves constructed off the back.
A reasonably light-weight construction as opposed to solid rock.
I have had holes cut into stone and know it's not a cheap exercise if you don't have access to coring equipment.
Good luck with your new venture.
Cheers Tony

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Thanks for the links Darrel, I'd almost forgotten about his tank. They're still absolutely superb. I can't believe those threads are almost 4 years old now.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Thanks for posting the pics Matt.
Thank you everyone for all your kind compliments and further advice.
The good news is that out of the 10 rocks in these 3 pictures 8 of them have already sold (which is fantastic, it feels very rewarding)
The only 2 I have left are in the first picture the Turkish Travatine in the centre front and the Cumbrian Slate to the right.

J

jamous91

i use a grey pvc pipe around and inch wide and 6 inch in length and just a tip for you if u use black sand you would not see it

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
I reckon you would see it unless you are completely blind then you would be correct
Lol

The 4 rocks in the second picture are sold and already in the guys tank, to say that he was very pleased with them would be an under statement. I thought I was enthusiastic about them.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I'm sticking with this format for the time being. In future I'm going to work preparing base plates out of rock for a very natural bed rock biotope enviroment for fish that live in or near these sorts of habitats.