Breeding Cave

FindingSussan

Sep 9, 2017
Canada
Hey everyone, I have been a long time pleco owner but never knew there was such a big fan base for them. Most of my friends would just keep trying to say plecostomus over and over and that is as interested as they get.

I want to get into plecos more, and I was thinking about setting up a tank just for them that maybe one day I could use to breed them and make some really cool variations. I was looking up breeding and I kept hearing about the breeding caves. I have never used a breeding cave for my fish before ( I guess there is a small cave in my aquarium but I have never thought of it as a breeding cave. Does this seems like something weird to you guys, or is that what everyone uses and I have fallen out of the loop somehow?

I was talking to a friend of mine who has plecos and he was very surprised that I had never noticed the breeding cave in his tank. I have now purchased one for myself from https://www.for-sale.ie/breeding-cave (to do healthy, Pure breed plecos :D) and I am really happy with how it looks in the tank as a decoration, and it seems that my fish are spending a decent amount of time in it already. Hopefully there will be some new fishies swimming around pretty soon :)

Last edited:

mrRRunner

Oct 2, 2009
Staffordshire UK
Hi,
and yes a vast majority of plecs use a cave of some sought to breed, the male will trap the female in his cave until she deposits the eggs, he will then release her and like good dad look after the eggs until the fry are free swimming basically.
When you say variations what do you mean? Hybrids are not the way to go:wb: and as far as I know are not welcome by the serious plec keeper :cry:,
Please enjoy them for what they are :thumbup:

FindingSussan

Sep 9, 2017
Canada
Hi,
and yes a vast majority of plecs use a cave of some sought to breed, the male will trap the female in his cave until she deposits the eggs, he will then release her and like good dad look after the eggs until the fry are free swimming basically.
When you say variations what do you mean? Hybrids are not the way to go:wb: and as far as I know are not welcome by the serious plec keeper :cry:,
Please enjoy them for what they are :thumbup:
Hmm, alright. I had no idea it was so frowned upon. I come from a dog breeding family and crossbreeding dogs is a huge thing, you want to get the best traits of many species and bloodlines and try not to force a bloodline together too much.