how do you sterilize a python ?

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi, had columnaris in one of the smaller tanks. Broke it up, sterilized it and transferred the survivors into one of the smaller tanks-20g.

I used one of my pythons for that tank a day before the illness broke out. I need to do a vacuum so I need to sterilize it first. How should I do it ? thanks, by the way, it is about 80 feet long.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Maybe but be very careful, heat water in your largest pot, then cyphon it out, maybe that would work, but dont burn yourself. Cheers jk

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
We used to mix two large buckets of netsan and pass it between the two buckets through the big python in the shop. Once we had passed it through three of four times we would do another two runs of "clean" water to remove any netsan from it.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks jk, i was thinking hot water too, and YAL, what is netsan ? never heard of the stuff. I wanna do vacuums over the weekend, so need to be sure it is safe for the 20g. thanks guys.

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Netsan is a mild bleach, net sanitiser,we used it in the lfs. It's how we stopped potential infections from spreading, we had a bucket of netsan that all the nets went into before and after each dip in a new tank, so a dip in netsan, a dip in a bucket of clean tap water then into a tank. We changed the fresh water every day and the netsan every three days.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
Thanks YAL, I was going to use near boiling water, but I like the idea of a large bucket with bleach and water, just 10%/90% soak, then a real good rinse and declor should make me feel more comfortable . We have some large plastic buckets we use for kegs, so I can use one of those . Should do the trick, I think. Thanks :)