how many praecox rainbows can I keep in a q-tank

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi , I am trudging on, getting ready to purchase new fish, a few varients of rainbows, but will begin with the praecox . I have a 5g q-tank and wonder how many can I put in there druing the month long q-time ?

It is small , that is why i am asking. The rainbows will eventually go in the 54g.

Also, this tank will have no substrate, so how does one keep the bottom clean from bacteria ? Is a month too long ? Sorry so many questions, just want to get it right and avoid problems . Thanks ,

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
I have been breeding these for ages. A 5 gal is really too small, if they are young fish and its only for a month you may get away with it as a Q precaution. Dwarf rainbows are a stunning fish, never had one break the three inch mark. Make sure you have either a moss bed or you can buy spawning mops and they will breed easily for you.

In a nut shell, half a dozen juvies, siphon the bottom a few times a week, keep the tank in a quiet area and good luck.

Last edited:

pepper28

Apr 15, 2011
new castle
hi , I am trudging on, getting ready to purchase new fish, a few varients of rainbows, but will begin with the praecox . I have a 5g q-tank and wonder how many can I put in there druing the month long q-time ?

It is small , that is why i am asking. The rainbows will eventually go in the 54g.

Also, this tank will have no substrate, so how does one keep the bottom clean from bacteria ? Is a month too long ? Sorry so many questions, just want to get it right and avoid problems . Thanks ,
Rainbows love plants in their tank too
cheers Doug

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi guys , thanks for responding ! ok looks like I can only get 2 smaller ones at a time for the 5g. Y- I am not so sure I want them to breed. The previous ones I had laid eggs in the wood crevaces, but the farlowella or someone else got to them, and they will go in the 54g show tank. It has 2 diamond tetra, 5 harlequin raspbora, 7 rummy nose tetra 1 preacox female rainbow and 1 farlowella. I think the diamonds bullied the male praecox to death, so I will probably bring them back to the store.

Pepper, I do not have a ''wet thumb'' and believe me i have tried, so i purchased some lovely silk plants and to be honest, they look fine to me with my lack of luck with the real ones.

oK, is a month the normal q-time, or can it be less ? And vacuum the bottom of the tank is what I was looking for , so thanks guys ! Next weekend a trip to the aq store ---it has been so long :woohoo: