New and in need of help :(

Jun 16, 2017
Australia
Hi fishie people, Im Taz, im new.
Ive just got a quick dilemma to run past you all.
Ive just treated my tank with liquid Avitrol plus for camallanus worms, its been 10 hours and im still not seeing worms drop from bums (great mental picture there)
I was just wondering if thats normal for it to take so long, i was under the assumption they would start dropping out at 4-8 hours in, and have most gone by 24 hours.
I dosed at the recommended 1ml per 5L of water following the guidelines i found on this site.
Advice is much appreciated.

Tank inhabitants:
2 albino bristlenose
6 common bristlenose
horde of guppies
4 albino corydora catfish
1 bronze corydora catfish
3 clown loaches
1 glass catfish (who needs friends, but cant get until the worms are gone)
3 neon tetra
+attack of the bladder snails (clown loaches just cant keep up)

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
for cammalanus worms my preference of treatment is levamisole... i use powdered form 1 gram treats 250 litres.... can be sourced from a good vet...
need 2 treatments - maybe a third to be certain each a week apart...
can also kill off beneficial bacteria (as most meds do) but once bacteria is exposed to levamisole the resistant bacteria that survive soon multiply to catch back up with your bioload... then you'll find further treatments dont impact on your bacteria anymore - even 6 mths afterwards if you need to treat again you'll find bacteria will sail through pretty much unaffected....

have no experience with avitrol.... so i dont feel i can give you any advice there....