Hello I hope you can help me

nutty

Feb 6, 2013
Staffordshire
Hi Everyone

I am from Stoke on Trent and I have been keeping and breeding Plecos for about five/six years.

I purchased a Magnum L047 on Sunday and never realised until I got him back home that he is very lethargic and has a sunken belly. This morning I have noticed that his eyes are beginning to sink in too :(

My husband has always wanted one of these and it was a present for him, is there anyone who can please help me get him back to health.

Please help

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi nutty, I am not a moderator , and I don't want to give you false hope , but there is something you can try if it is not already too late. Get some GARLIC GUARD ,or other such product for fish from aquarium store , turn the temp up a liittle, just 2d at a time , which will help his appetite( however, if his tummy is very shrunkin in , he may want to eat but can't ) but put some garlic gurard on a piece of raw zucchini-skin off for this sick guy.

Is he in a q=tank ? If so, IF he can eat , the other fish won't get it first. Put it in at night, lights off on a food clip or spoon to sink it, then replace in morning , new piece at night. the garlic guard and heat will stimulate his appetite. Hope he will be ok, fingers crossed.

See what the others have to say . good luck

nutty

Feb 6, 2013
Staffordshire
Aww thank you for your help, he is in a tank with others as I do not have a qtank :( I have put loads and loads of food in for them all with two large pieces of courgette. I have never heard of garlic guard I wonder if they sell it in the UK. I will let you know how he gets on I hate seeing fish suffer x

nutty

Feb 6, 2013
Staffordshire
Thank you for your help, I've found a shop which sells it and ive put him in a breeding cage with courgette soaked with the garlic guard you recommended. Thank you so much you've given me a bit of hope I will keep you updated xx

I've taken a pic of him but I don't know how to put him on here x

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
:welcome: and sorry he is unwell. Just so you know, it is rumoured that garlic stimulates feeding in plecos. I would make sure you keep him in the Q tank so you can monitor him easier. Do every 4days a 30% water change and raise temp by approx. 2-3 C to 29-30C . You are also correct in saying sunken eyes and belly is not a good sign, so it is a matter of wait and see know cheers jk :thumbup: