bad platy

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
so I picked up an apple snail to help clean the 20g platy tank. 4 adult platy and 4 babies(this is kinda my husband's tank) . A few minutes after putting the apple snail- a good size--,one of the play began to suck on it's eye, like eat it , i suppose. I pulled the snail out and plunked it in another tank, but eventually I hoped to get him back in the platy tank. Is this nnormal ? The play are not starving .. and no fish in the other tank have tried this :dk:

anyone know of this happening before ? thanks,

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
I have witnessed loaches give snails a rough time on many occasions but never a live bearer!

Try to reintroduce the snail at lights out time, and keep an eye on it the following day.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
see it all time in our lf's

helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllo!!!

I read your post and totally knew where you came from.

Our lf's (3 of them) all have this problema and repeat it over and over. We keep witnessing it and the employees say 'o no there are just checking them out' then of course within a wekk most of them had gone!!!

I think it is because they are so big they cant help but be like yeah baby lets eat it!!! ours, when we had them always left alone the little ones...

big respects and kind thoughts

c

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
yeah, it is strange because the apple snail is much larger than the sub-adult platy that did this. Poor snail , I really doubt I can put him back in there now that ccole mentioned his possible demise. Its just wrong and unexpected. I didn't buy him for the fishies fancy dinner, he's a big one and a good cleaner ! Well he is doing his thing in a differnt tank now. thanks guys , thought is was strange as platy are usually mellow.