Wood for Plecos

Chris Perth

Nov 5, 2016
Perth WA
As we all know wood of some type appears to be a pre-requisite of keeping/breeding plecs, especially those of the Panaque and panaqolus species. Here in Oz the majority of our woods are classed as hardwoods, and I was wondering if they were easily digestible by the above, or was there any preference for a softer type of wood? (oh and I am not talking about pine)
I had the thought of using weighed down Balsa wood - has any one had any experience with this and what were the pros and cons?

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
Hi I'm not sure about balsa wood but I'm the UK we get two types of imported bogwood for aquarium use mopani which is a very hard wood which isn't really eaten by my panaques and a softer dark wood which our guys love and shred it to bits can you find an eBay seller that will send to Australia

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
.......I had the thought of using weighed down Balsa wood - has any one had any experience with this and what were the pros and cons?
There isn't a lot of nutritional value in wood, it is likely that most of the food value is in the associated fungi etc as the wood starts to decay (some fungi can <"digest lignin">, and wood is lignified).

Have a look at <"this thread">, and this more recent one on <"Planet Catfish">.

Apple wood is good, if that is an option?

This was <"posted"> by our departed friend "bigbird", a fine man and an Australian.
I walk the beaches get driftwood that has been bleached by the sea r go for a walk through the Australian bush and get termite infested logs or branches. ( find that these the Ls love as it is a softer wood). I have a large 150liter drum outside with water conditioner. I wash these pieces then place in this drum outside for 14days or so and every now and then add new treated water.
cheers Darrel